Yukon XL regear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SICARIO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone regeared their Yukon XL Denali to 3:46’s or higher? I have a 2018 I want to use for hauling our trailer we’re currently shopping for.

The Sierra Denali (6.2 w 10sp) has a 3:23 and 3:46 option (9000lb and 12000lb tow capacity respectively). That’s a 25% increase in tow capacity with that only change.

With that logic, the Yukon XL should be able to increase from 8000lb to around 10000lb tow capacity.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gear ratio alone does not increase tow capacity. The Max Trailering Package increases the size of the gears, changes the rear shocks, and rear springs (plus a few other things but those don't actually affect the towing capacity).

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you clarify >>.CHANGES THE SIZE OF THE GEARS ? as in ring gear diameter ? that would be a whole axle assembly (housing included)

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing the gear ratio doesn't change towing capacity. The Sierra is a truck with a lower curb weight and there is a whole lot more than gear ratios that go into determining tow capacity.

If you're going to be pulling anywhere over 6k, I'd skip the Yukon and go for a 3/4 ton crew cab or higher.

I've got some experience here..

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the guys have pretty much covered it. On any truck (pickup or SUV platform), there's much more than gears that go into a complete tow package, although a lower (numerically higher) rear gear does make towing easier. Brakes, cooling, a proper hitch, upgraded rear suspension/sway bars, etc. all work together to make those high tow capacity numbers SAFE. The gears just help get the load moving and maybe provide a bit more engine braking on long steep grades.

But, as far as gears alone go, if I were considering a re-gear I wouldn't be afraid of a 3.55 or even a 3.73. There's virtually no downside to those ratios, you'll never notice any negative aspect. These trucks have multi-speed overdrive transmissions and an economy minded factory ECM tune, you'll do just fine. The performance gains from a 3.55 or 3.73 will make it feel like a new truck.

Keep in mind, if you re-gear a 4WD or AWD truck you not only have to re-gear the rear end but the FRONT differential as well. The front and rear gear ratios must match or your transfer case will go kaboom.

can you clarify >>.CHANGES THE SIZE OF THE GEARS ? as in ring gear diameter ? that would be a whole axle assembly (housing included)

Changing ring and pinion gearsets is a common performance upgrade. It can be done without changing the whole axle assembly. Take out the old gears, toss in the new ones. As long as you don't go too radical, the change in ring gear diameter shouldn't matter - it'll fit.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will agree on the gear set swap as far as ratio. but ring gear diameter can be a very different animal...hence the reason we have 8.5", 9" ,8.8"...the axle pumpkins tend to vary in housing size to accommodate.

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note to the OP..

Don't rely on the RV dealer.. most of them don't have a clue and will sell you way too much trailer.

Look for something under 6k.. about 75% of max haul capacity. Don't forget you'll have luggage, supplies, and humans to carry as well. Things like batteries, propane tanks, water, etc are all optional and are not included in the dry weights that should be listed on the camper.

If you have someone tell you that the trailer didn't have one they're lying through their teeth.. it's a legal requirement to disclose this.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will agree on the gear set swap as far as ratio. but ring gear diameter can be a very different animal...hence the reason we have 8.5", 9" ,8.8"...the axle pumpkins tend to vary in housing size to accommodate.

Well, yeah. Obviously. But there are multiple ratios available for the same axle housing. For instance, the Ford 8.8 rear end can have any number of different ratios and still be considered an 8.8" rear end.

I'm assuming the rear end in these trucks could accommodate a wide range of ratios, plus if you're going numerically higher the ring gear is getting smaller anyway.

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone regeared their Yukon XL Denali to 3:46’s or higher? I have a 2018 I want to use for hauling our trailer we’re currently shopping for.

The Sierra Denali (6.2 w 10sp) has a 3:23 and 3:46 option (9000lb and 12000lb tow capacity respectively). That’s a 25% increase in tow capacity with that only change.

With that logic, the Yukon XL should be able to increase from 8000lb to around 10000lb tow capacity.
If all things being equal if your truck, if you have the lower ratio (3.23) and you increase the ratio to (3.46), you would increase the towing capacity to the higher amount as it would have if it had come from the factory. You could go to an even higher ratio, but at the point you are limited to the other mechanical limits as the other posts mentioned. I happen to have a 2500 YXL (03), so not exactly the same, but in my year the switch from a 3.73 to 4.10 (only gears), gained 2k lbs towing capacity from 7800 to 9800. I think the modern "Max Trailering Package" includes a slightly larger rear axle 9.78. I would suggest finding a complete factory assembled axle (larger) with the ratio you want. In the long run it will be cheaper and assembled better than a gear swapped smaller unit. Also will need to get tuned to match the new gearing.

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all things being equal if your truck, if you have the lower ratio (3.23) and you increase the ratio to (3.46), you would increase the towing capacity to the higher amount as it would have if it had come from the factory. You could go to an even higher ratio, but at the point you are limited to the other mechanical limits as the other posts mentioned. I happen to have a 2500 YXL (03), so not exactly the same, but in my year the switch from a 3.73 to 4.10 (only gears), gained 2k lbs towing capacity from 7800 to 9800. I think the modern "Max Trailering Package" includes a slightly larger rear axle 9.78. I would suggest finding a complete factory assembled axle (larger) with the ratio you want. In the long run it will be cheaper and assembled better than a gear swapped smaller unit. Also will need to get tuned to match the new gearing.
The Yukon 2500 is also on a 2500 frame with 3/4 ton axles. You're comparing apples and oranges.

The OP is looking to push the tow limits of his truck past what it was designed for. Thinking a simple re-gear will get him to the tow limits of a pickup truck. There is a whole lot more that goes into determining towing capacity than gearing ratio.

The Yukon XL/Suburban/Escalade ESV is good up to about 6k.. maybe 6500 after that it's real sketch. Ideally, you'd have several thousand pounds in excess capacity (especially if you plan on driving the thing for a while).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts