Yukon XL regear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Yukon 2500 is also on a 2500 frame with 3/4 ton axles. You're comparing apples and oranges.

The OP is looking to push the tow limits of his truck past what it was designed for. Thinking a simple re-gear will get him to the tow limits of a pickup truck. There is a whole lot more that goes into determining towing capacity than gearing ratio.

The Yukon XL/Suburban/Escalade ESV is good up to about 6k.. maybe 6500 after that it's real sketch. Ideally, you'd have several thousand pounds in excess capacity (especially if you plan on driving the thing for a while).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
No comparing them at all, like I said, "all things being equal" If for his vehicle, it was a factory option for the higher gear ratio, and there is a posted increase in capacity then it should be an easy upgrade. I do believe with the "Max Trailering Package" option it tows somewhere around 8k. Which is oil/trans cooler, some shock tuning and a slightly larger rear axle w/ gear ratio. So that is why I suggested picking up a salvaged complete axle from a better appointed truck.

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Max trailering w/a 5.3 in a 2wd XL is 8300 4wd and it drops to 8000 (as the OP indicated).

If he gets in an accident pulling over what the vehicle was intended for, he could be seriously liable. I would not recommend or encourage towing over what the vehicle says (manufacturer's spec).

I tried pulling a 7200lb camper with my Escalade for a couple of years. Let's just say it didn't go well. New tranny, two sets of motor mounts, two sets of air ride shocks, coolant/trany system upgrades, etc. I could go on and on..

It's now a garage princess.. bought an F350 CC LWB Dually. Plenty of room for 6.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Yukon 2500 is also on a 2500 frame with 3/4 ton axles. You're comparing apples and oranges.

The OP is looking to push the tow limits of his truck past what it was designed for. Thinking a simple re-gear will get him to the tow limits of a pickup truck. There is a whole lot more that goes into determining towing capacity than gearing ratio.

What he said times a million.

Even if it's true that the newer trucks with the "Max Towing" package came with a larger rear end, I'm having serious difficulty with the theory that swapping your rear axle assembly is any cheaper and/or easier than doing a simple gear swap, especially if you'd need to source one from a modern (two or three year old) truck. Even if all other things were "equal", which they most decidedly are not.

And don't forget the point I raised earlier - if you own a 4WD/AWD truck you're still going to have to re-gear the front to match, whether you do a simple gear swap out back or replace the whole axle assembly.

And you still won't have a bonafide (and safe) tow package. Axle ratios, axle size, frame, brakes, sway bars, springs, shocks, cooling, proper hitch, etc. There's way more to it. Not to keep beating the poor guy up, but the OP is trying to take a short cut, and that's dangerous.

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll there is not much for mountains in minnesota GMT800 2006..7200 behind a Yukon xl 3:73 or 4:10 no big deal for 1500 .but ya your GMT900 there a bunch of issues more shifting tranny's your gears not the rear end way cheaper for gm . But with your towing gear does work out to 4:10 but your missing that 4:10 1,2,3 take off . Towing with AWD to me does not seem to be a good fit . Yes towing will find any issues you have with your rig it's because your giving it a work out . Tow in 3rd more RPMs cools everything better. Any lugging is ******* everything.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone regeared their Yukon XL Denali to 3:46’s or higher? I have a 2018 I want to use for hauling our trailer we’re currently shopping for.

The Sierra Denali (6.2 w 10sp) has a 3:23 and 3:46 option (9000lb and 12000lb tow capacity respectively). That’s a 25% increase in tow capacity with that only change.

With that logic, the Yukon XL should be able to increase from 8000lb to around 10000lb tow capacity.

So, what did you eventually do, if anything?

OP
OP
S

SICARIO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nothing, figured I’d tow for a bit with it as is. I bought a 30’ bunkhouse (7200lbs fully loaded). I’m averaging 10.5-11mpg and have plenty of power. With no plans of getting a larger/heavier trailer I should be ok.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing, figured I’d tow for a bit with it as is. I bought a 30’ bunkhouse (7200lbs fully loaded). I’m averaging 10.5-11mpg and have plenty of power. With no plans of getting a larger/heavier trailer I should be ok.

That's good. You can make changes incrementally if needs be as you spend more time towing.

If memory serves, those 2018s have 3.23 gears and the 10-speed transmission, dropping down a few gears while towing will give it plenty of tractive effort.

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious how those 10 speed transmissions work towing . Seem there be alot shifting going on .

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan