Yukon vs Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpicasso

Reaction score
Looking at 2 auctions and trying to understand the MASSIVE price differences, 1, and 2, discern if paying the higher price is worth it.

2004 Tahoe LT, 4WD
5.3L engine
73K miles
2,551 engine hours
1-owner, no accidents
52 service records
Current bid - $15,500. Originally sold for over $20K but buyer backed out

2004 Yukon Denali
6.0L engine
43K miles
Engine hours not detailed
3 owners, no accidents
20 service records
Current bid - $6500

Based on photos/videos, both are very clean vehicles. 20 vs 50 service records definitely makes me a little concerned but wondering if worth 3x's the amount for a vehicle that old.

Understand this is a "stepping stone" vehicle for me. Wanting an '18-'20, 6.2L engine with 10-speed transmission but not wanting to spend the $45-50K+ while in the middle of a career change. Hoping to have this vehicle last me at least a few years and potentially hand it down to son, or keep it as a secondary, fix-em up.

Not wanting the '07-'14 MY... absolutely do not like the sear comfort. Would rather keep driving my '02 Tahoe as opposed to upgrade to that.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's your money I wouldn't bother with bidding on either one and would just go out and buy used with more miles on it but not excessive mileage.
the bang for the buck is way out of whack just because it has "low miles"
if you really want a low mileage vehicle have 10k cash in your pocket 24/7 and watch local daily postings of for sale by owner vehicles and get there first, that's going to be the win.
if they want over 10k walk away it's not worth it, you can buy cheaper and have money left over for any needed maintenance.
the reason for the price discrepancy is one currently has a higher bid than the other.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 2004 tahoe isn't worth that regardless of condition. Maybe a 2500 series suburban/yukon XL . The Denali is about what id expect to pay.

Someone just got in a bidding war on the Tahoe. Which is what auctions go really want to make happen.

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
A 2004 tahoe isn't worth that regardless of condition. Maybe a 2500 series suburban/yukon XL . The Denali is about what id expect to pay.

Someone just got in a bidding war on the Tahoe. Which is what auctions go really want to make happen.
OK, thanks. Have been watching the Tahoe, out of curiosity, but would prefer the Yukon, regardless. AWD/4WD is a bonus, as I live in Florida and occasionally go in to fields...though my 2WD Tahoe always gets me through.

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
it's your money I wouldn't bother with bidding on either one and would just go out and buy used with more miles on it but not excessive mileage.
the bang for the buck is way out of whack just because it has "low miles"
Yukon is currently at $6500. Had not planned to go over $10K, preferably less. Other good part - about an hour away, so cheaper to get it home.
if you really want a low mileage vehicle have 10k cash in your pocket 24/7 and watch local daily postings of for sale by owner vehicles and get there first, that's going to be the win.
if they want over 10k walk away it's not worth it, you can buy cheaper and have money left over for any needed maintenance.
That has been my thought process. Did find one in Oregon, really clean, for $12K. Sold mid-inspection, which my guy said it was shaping up very nicely.
Not necessarily looking for ridiculously low mileage, if proper maintenance has been performed. Just trying to find that happy medium where I will finish with about $15K, tops, out of pocket...and a vehicle I can rely on for doing road trips.

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
Also looking at an '05 Tahoe LT Z71, 115K miles, 1-owner, 41 service records. At a dealership for $9K.
If '04 Yukon and '05 Tahoe same price, and all else fairly equal, any reason to choose one over the other? In this scenario, would lean towards the Tahoe just because of more service records and 1-owner, if kept under $10K.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also looking at an '05 Tahoe LT Z71, 115K miles, 1-owner, 41 service records. At a dealership for $9K.
If '04 Yukon and '05 Tahoe same price, and all else fairly equal, any reason to choose one over the other? In this scenario, would lean towards the Tahoe just because of more service records and 1-owner, if kept under $10K.
the yukon has the 6.0 so it has a little more gittyup, but that means slightly less mpg also
the 6.0 would mostly likely mean it is a Denali and AWD which generally have some form of higher trim package leather, heated seats, rse, sunroof, etc
a regular yukon would have the 5.3 and would be 2wd/4wd and may or may not have a upgraded trim option

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
the yukon has the 6.0 so it has a little more gittyup, but that means slightly less mpg also
the 6.0 would mostly likely mean it is a Denali and AWD which generally have some form of higher trim package leather, heated seats, rse, sunroof, etc
a regular yukon would have the 5.3 and would be 2wd/4wd and may or may not have a upgraded trim option
Getting 10MPG on my Tahoe now...not sure I can do much worse.
Yukon is a Denali, with AWD. Tahoe is a 4WD Z71. Major differences I can see is the 5.3 vs 6.0 engine; AWD vs 4WD; bench seats and no 3rd row in Tahoe (not needed, as there is never more than 3 people in vehicle).

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
Final price on Tahoe was $18,500. Nice looking vehicle but definitely not feeling that kind of monies...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts