Yukon Escalade converion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
I

indian mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about just tiniting your existing lights so that at least they don't stand out as much....

Been thinking the exact same thing. Probably a lot cheaper, at least until I can get what I really want.

Chip, I'm totally not sure. Are the 00 Escalades the new body style? I know the 02-06 sclades won't fit. I'm totally going to look into that. Let me know if come up with anything conclusive for sure! Thanks!!

Thanks Elliot!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been thinking the exact same thing. Probably a lot cheaper, at least until I can get what I really want.

Exactly what I was thinking :D

Chip, I'm totally not sure. Are the 00 Escalades the new body style? I know the 02-06 sclades won't fit. I'm totally going to look into that. Let me know if come up with anything conclusive for sure! Thanks!!

The 99-00 Eskys are the same body style as the 99-00 Denalis which would be a completely different body style from the NBS Yukon/Tahoe/Esky....

OP
OP
I

indian mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about just tiniting your existing lights so that at least they don't stand out as much....

I'm really liking this idea! Can they be smoked and still be basically legal and bright enough??

Other ideas along this line of thinking???

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

The 99-00 Eskys are the same body style as the 99-00 Denalis which would be a completely different body style from the NBS Yukon/Tahoe/Esky....

I think the Tahoes had the hinges outside the truck.? Not sure about the lights...

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really liking this idea! Can they be smoked and still be basically legal and bright enough??

Other ideas along this line of thinking???

Yes just don't do them do dark that you can't see them. If it was me, I'd either take them to a tint guy and have them tinted (with film) at 50%. Either that or tint them with the VHT nite shades product at about the same about of tint as the 50% would be. That's my 2 cents until you find exactly what you want....

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do we really want me to talk about the legality of tinted tail lights? i'll give u a hint....i've written the ticket probably 20 times this year... :)

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do we really want me to talk about the legality of tinted tail lights? i'll give u a hint....i've written the ticket probably 20 times this year... :)

Isn't that a state-by-state law, though??

OP
OP
I

indian mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Office KillJoy does have a point. I really don't want to be in trouble with the law.

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't that a state-by-state law, though??

all states will say they have to be visible *** feet from the vehicle, most states have wording such as "under all lighting conditions" or "in direct sunlight". reason is, we all know the difference between OFF and ON at night are readily visible. the difference between off and on in direct sunlight, however, takes a much brighter light to overcome the ambient lighting. case in point- u are sitting at a red light with the sun shining on it and cant tell unless u are right up on it if its red or green or what. same with the tails. cant tell if they are on or not if the sun is on them until one is too close.

and to top it off...all states have the same basic throw down law. something along the lines of "if its not specified in this code, it has to meet the standards set forth by the federal motor vehicle saftey standards (FMVSS)" so...since no state is going to have a law permitting a tinting film or spray or other light reducing material placed onto a lens, it will have the abilty to say it has to meet the FMVSS and find a violation in the modified light. FMVSS is very very strict in its standards so basically any aftermarket light hasnt been FMVSS approved even if it woudl probally meet all the requirements. its just too hard to do. these sonar LED tails havent been FMVSS approved...so techincally i supposed one could make a big deal about it...although the spirit of the law is also something that comes up in trial not just the letter of the law so a brighter faster reacting lamp is most likely not going to be found guilty in violation of the throw down law or state law but a tinted, harder to see, and non or less reflective lense will easily be found in violation. remember, light output is only part of it. the fact that you have to have rear reflectors also plays into it and a dark tinted light wont reflect at all or at least not as visibly as a non tinted lamp.

anything else? :)

if u ever get bored, dig some reading on the FMVSS standards.... i brought it up in another thread on seatblet modifications but they really do specify all sorts of things. ever wonder why things are the way they are in your car? FMVSS is to blame....

but in all honesty, dark tail lights have contributed to several accidents that i have personally worked during daylight hours because the brightness just inst there. night really isnt an issue.

off soap box.
-officer kill joy.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if a 2000 Escalade is actually and OBS truck?? :think: I'm thinking that this is not correct.

Thanks Elliot!

It is the OBS. It has the barn doors, and his truck is still a 2000 model year.

Take a look and tell me what you think:

http://www.netcarshow.com/cadillac/2000-escalade/800x600/wallpaper_03.htm

Office KillJoy does have a point. I really don't want to be in trouble with the law.

Smoking the stockers yourself WILL increase the risk of getting pulled (even if the cop is wrong). It may never happen, but you will definitely increase the likelihood.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:lol: thanks for the info 2005yukonxl :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE