You just can't please some people

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you just need to get your post count up for some reason? GM doesn't use adhesive to fix BROKEN parts. Adhering leather to a door panel is not the same as using popsicle sticks and super glue to "fix" a cracked dash or using L brackets and sheet metal screws to "fix" the cracked door handle. Yeah, GM sucks and those parts should be made well enough not to break but that doesn't change anything about what I said. You would NOT buy a brand new car with duct tape holding the dash together. Like I said, you KNOW exactly what I meant and so does everyone else so I will not be clarifying further.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So, I blazed thru the American Legion members in quick order, 3 oil changes, air bag light at dash repair, rear struts on the hatch of a Ranger pickup truck, rf turn signal light assembly for that Ranger and right rear taillight assembly for the same Ranger truck after straightening some of the sheet metal, then plugs and wires and fuel filter for the Ranger and still a miss and found a crack at the coil pack and replaced and fixed misfire, radiator and water pump and thermostat for the 89 K2500 pickup, the lawn mower work for the American Legion post, aftermarket tie down brackets and highway floorboards on a members new Goldwing and then a new larger windshield for the same Goldwing, fuel pump replacement for a Ford Escape and a Charge Air Cooler on a member's F350 diesel.

Fixed oil leak on oil drain plug for F150 across street neighbor and oil change and third brake light replacement and reseal for his bed cover.

Changed oil on fiance's 90 K2500 and did a complete inspection of steering and suspension and diagnosed the leaking valve seals on engine. Gonna be doing the valve stem seals soon.

Now I am dead in the water with no work. I have had a flier up at the VFW and did help a member lady there with bad info from her shop she usually uses. They had told her that the auto temp control would not blow heat unless she charged the a/c system that they both knew had a leak. I told her no, that was incorrect. She has heat, no problem and is gonna have me fix her a/c come spring and will do an oil change with me soon but no other member's have contacted about work. Turns out my flier is in a poor location. The bar manager made copies of the flier and starting tomorrow will be putting those copies out at the bar and at the tables and is displaying the flier at the VFW post facebook account. That should change the car count a bit. Plus I visited the neighbors on our street and made them aware.

I was going to take a 2 day a week job with the local AutoZone as a hub driver where I deliver parts from warehouse to several stores but when I heard that they wanted me to sweep warehouse floors when not driving, I passed. Still in the market for a part time service writer position but that is gonna be tuff to find. The work at home is fine for now.

03X2

Reaction score
So, after I got my tool assortment back together, I got to thinking that besides doing work on my vehicle and my girlfriend's vehicle, I could make some side money as well. I am tired of being retired.

Anyway, I at first put an ad on CL but my girlfriend was not happy about that because she did not want strangers over here casing the place and my tools collection. I thought about that and agreed with her. Then I decided to just advertise at the American Legion post bulletin board. I stated that my labor rate will be $50 an hour for regular customers and $40 an hour for post members. I immediately got some work but also decided that I needed some more diagnostic equipment and after about two weeks, this afternoon, I upped the labor rate by $10 on each option. You would have thought that I shot them in the heart. I told them I will not do heavy work here like engine and transmission swaps and would be right up front with what I will or will not do and also will not be mobile. I also said I would get them parts at my cost to save them money. I make no $ on parts. I also tell them what parts manufacturer I will not install. I don't hide any of that info. I tell them right from the beginning. Shops in the area charge a minimum of at least $120 and I am an ASE certified tech. You just can't make some people happy. So far I have done the post lawn tractor maintenance of belts and new blades and fuel filter and oil change and air filter that would have cost them over $350 labor alone. I did it for the old labor rate for $160 labor and they supplied the parts. I also did some motorcycle work as well. Plus, the documented here 89 K2500 cooling system work and also some lights on a Ranger and will be doing an oil change on the Ranger and pull codes and fix that on the Ranger. I do most oil changes for the post members for $20-$25 labor.
If ever you want to move to a warmer climate anywhere in a 2hr drive of the 30265 zip……

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If ever you want to move to a warmer climate anywhere in a 2hr drive of the 30265 zip……
Sorry, doesn't get that cold here in Eugene, Oregon but does ran a lot this time of year. I almost moved to Warrensburg, Mo. recently but the weather here suits me.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was actually at the VFW yesterday and a member came in with a CEL on dash and I am supposed to pull code(s) today at 1 pm and the bartender husband's F150 4x4 has clutch and brake problems he wants me to look at. When it rains it pours.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Some vets spend a lot of time at VFW halls, the beer must be good there, lol
They have a few taps and lots of bottles of spirits but I no longer drink. Been about 3 months now, if I have my time frame right.

The VFW and American Legion halls are where us vets can talk amongst ourselves about crap from years ago and we understand each other. Not good to keep it bottled up. They also can drink and know that they will be watched over by other vets and the bartenders. No one ever drives home that should not. Lots of good eats at a great price since we are not a retail bar. We don't get different colored hair styles with man buns and slutty dress at these places. We are not all conservatives or liberals but don't need a safe room either.

Reaction score
Oh I know what VFW and Legion halls are. I come from a large military family. My dad was career, 28 years (E9 Army). His brother retired E9 Marines. Two siblings are vets (E6 and E7 Army), their spouses are Army vets, their kids are Air Force vets (one just re-upped into the reserves)

Seems that some vets spend a lot of time at the VFW, while some hardly ever, or never, go. Like you said, some enjoy, or need, to talk about their experiences with others that understand them, while some don't ever want to talk about them.

I was just joshing you about spend a lot of time at the VFW hall, lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No problem. At both posts, I noticed that some members just pay the dues and hardly ever go to post because they want to contribute to the post. Others, like myself, like to socialize where I don't have to deal with the crap that happens at the retail bars and we are safe at our posts with each other. Good drinks, good food and good conversations. I tend to get involved as I am thinking about running for an officer position at the VFW. I also genuinely want to help with their vehicles where I can. I have my limitations and let them all know that up front but my info up front helps them make decisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter