WREAKED? I must be the luckiest person on earth or worst luck ever!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have full coverage on any of my vehicles. I haven’t had an at-fault accident in 30 years or more. That’s a lot of savings in premiums, enough to buy my trucks a couple times. But then I haven’t financed anything in forever too so I don’t have a bank telling me what to do.
2 years ago, my 2012 was parked in front a friend's house here in Richmond when an ****** with no insurance gunned his Mustang on wet leaves at the precise moment he was passing my truck, and when the backend of his car kicked out, he did $5000 worth of damage to the side of my truck. If I hadn't had full coverage, here in Virginia at least, my uninsured motorist insurance, which was based in Colorado at the time, wouldn't have covered it because of a technicality. The guy who owned the car (and we believe was also driving it at the time) lived on the same street and claimed his car had been stolen immediately before the accident. So, my insurance company treated it as a stolen car situation instead of an uninsured motorist situation, rendering my uninsured motorist coverage moot.

By the time I got outside, said ****** was 100 yards away, running at full speed. We're both lucky I didn't have my pistol with me. He'd likely be dead, and I'd be in jail. Lol.

Moral of the story: make sure that if you have uninsured motorist coverage in addition to your liability policy, that you know what situations it will/won't cover you for - especially if you're out-of-state. I always carry full coverage on anything worth more than I'd want to have to shell out in cash to repair or replace it.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 years ago, my 2012 was parked in front a friend's house here in Richmond when an ****** with no insurance gunned his Mustang on wet leaves at the precise moment he was passing my truck, and when the backend of his car kicked out, he did $5000 worth of damage to the side of my truck. If I hadn't had full coverage, here in Virginia at least, my uninsured motorist insurance, which was based in Colorado at the time, wouldn't have covered it because of a technicality. The guy who owned the car (and we believe was also driving it at the time) lived on the same street and claimed his car had been stolen immediately before the accident. So, my insurance company treated it as a stolen car situation instead of an uninsured motorist situation, rendering my uninsured motorist coverage moot.

By the time I got outside, said ****** was 100 yards away, running at full speed. We're both lucky I didn't have my pistol with me. He'd likely be dead, and I'd be in jail. Lol.

Moral of the story: make sure that if you have uninsured motorist coverage in addition to your liability policy, that you know what situations it will/won't cover you for - especially if you're out-of-state. I always carry full coverage on anything worth more than I'd want to have to shell out in cash to repair or replace it.
I upped my uninsured to 100k vehicle, 100k medical & lost wages after my bike crash that totaled my $50k bagger I built and put me out of work for a year. It was 50k/50k before that. It covers me wherever I’m at. I’m all for that, but I have no use for comprehensive. That’s a waste of money for me. Uninsured doesn’t cost me much in comparison. Like I said, I haven’t had an at-fault accident in over 30 years, and that one was minor.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I upped my uninsured to 100k vehicle, 100k medical & lost wages after my bike crash that totaled my $50k bagger I built and put me out of work for a year. It was 50k/50k before that. It covers me wherever I’m at. I’m all for that, but I have no use for comprehensive. That’s a waste of money for me. Uninsured doesn’t cost me much in comparison. Like I said, I haven’t had an at-fault accident in over 30 years, and that one was minor.
I totally get it, Mark, and I'm also sorry about your accident - what an awful thing! My point though was that there are circumstances where uninsured motorist coverage won't help you, and they're not uncommon, so in my opinion, it's wise to consider that carefully when deciding not to carry comprehensive.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally get it, Mark, and I'm also sorry about your accident - what an awful thing! My point though was that there are circumstances where uninsured motorist coverage won't help you, and they're not uncommon, so in my opinion, it's wise to consider that carefully when deciding not to carry comprehensive.
For me to consider it, I’d need to know what circumstances you’re talking about. All you said was because of a technicality yours wouldn’t cover that incident. But here’s something else to consider in your case- if you didn’t have comprehensive and that car was considered stolen, that guys insurance would cover it and if it wasn’t and he didn’t have insurance your uninsured would have covered it. Your company chose to use your comp probably because that worked out better for them. Maybe your deductible was higher or they got to add points to your record but in any case my uninsured will cover a case like that. I’m not worried, I have weighed the pros and cons. I have saved an average of $1800 a year, multiply that by 30 years...that’s $54,000. I’ll take my chances and if I screw up, I have no problem paying for my mistake.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not worried, I have weighed the pros and cons. I have saved an average of $1800 a year, multiply that by 30 years...that’s $54,000. I’ll take my chances and if I screw up, I have no problem paying for my mistake.
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to change your mind. I understand and agree with your rationale. I'm trying to illuminate circumstances where not having full coverage on one's car will leave them without reimbursement, even if they're not at fault, to help others who might read this.
But here’s something else to consider in your case- if you didn’t have comprehensive and that car was considered stolen, that guys insurance would cover it and if it wasn’t and he didn’t have insurance your uninsured would have covered it. Your company chose to use your comp probably because that worked out better for them.
No, they wouldn't, that's my point. The owner of the car didn't have insurance, which is partly why he claimed the car had been stolen (to avoid having my insurance company come after him personally). Either way, my insurance company was clear that my uninsured motorist coverage would not cover me in that instance and shared the details as to why (short version: the laws on the circumstances for which uninsured motorist insurance will pay a claim are different in Colorado than in Virginia). Thankfully I was covered under accident forgiveness so my premiums didn't go up, but I was out my $1000 deductible, and was grateful that I had comp+collision in that case.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why on earth would you NOT have full coverage?!? For a vehicle as expensive as our rigs that’s insanity!!!
i'll put the video in a few moments just waiting on the copyright crap to get removed

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the
Why on earth would you NOT have full coverage?!? For a vehicle as expensive as our rigs that’s insanity!!!

The parts are worth a lot of money .. esp the computer parts .. more then the cost of a complete suv...

this SUV can be used as a emergency power generator. if someone is crazy enough to tap off the 360volt battery (these are exposed and easy to access ) .( yes this will throw CEL but it would not matter as they can be reset later on) you would need a HV solar inverter though to convert it to A/C...

Last edited:
Reaction score
But for how long? I thought you said the battery is old and nearly depleted

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But for how long? I thought you said the battery is old and nearly depleted

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
the electronic parts i.e inverter and computer modules....

here is the video
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the electronic parts i.e inverter and computer modules....

here is the video
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That van was already partway in the road before you even got close to him. You should have stopped and either let him out when the light turned green or motioned for him to back up, not try to squeeze around in front of him. If a crash would have happened you both would have been at fault. There’s a reason I haven’t had an accident in over 30 years- I don’t do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts