Would you replace a Trans as preventative maint?

Replace, Rebuild dont worry

• Rebuild it with upgrades.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Replace it with a new one.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Don't worry Be Happy.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Just change the oil and filter.

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
OK Here is the set up. I have 209K miles and it has run hot more than a time or two I live in Aridzona. It has been working fine but, I am planning a high mountain elk hunting trip to Colorado next month it will be a 3k round trip...

Remember it has been working fine nothing weird has been happening with it... Should I get the transmission rebuilt or replaced before I go? If I was staying home I wouldn't bother worrying about doing this at all.. Am I just being a worry wort for nothing?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having had a transmission give up the ghost on one long trip, I would probably be inclined to install a reman and call it good. Mine was a 4 speed, had towed a 5K trailer all around the west (mountains in summer time) in its first 60K miles and at 76K turned turtle on highway 80 about 30 miles east of Reno. Suboptimal as I was taking my dog to UC Davis for cancer treatment.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not spend the money unless something was amiss. If you had more time, you might send a sample of fluid off to Blackstone Labs for analysis. If you plan to change the fluid before the trip, do it asap so if anything is going to go wrong, it will reveal itself before the trip.

Hope you post photos of the hunt afterwards, it's my bucket list to take an elk with my .54 caliber muzzleloader someday.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
For me it would depend on what is the cost in dollars or disappointment if it trashed your hunting trip. Is there a plan B like a rental feasible?

I don’t think the six speeds are prone to failure without warning.

And my final thought for interstate travel and warranty consideration I wouldn’t touch anything other than a GM reman.

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I will be leaving here with a couple spare days before needing to be there so worst case I could leave it at a shop and rent a car to drive over to meet up with my son in Colorado springs.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 217K on that same transmission and wouldn’t think twice about making that trip with it. A rebuild can also invite problems. Failures are common in the first few thousand miles. Send it!

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 yrs ago, at 130k miles, I pulled the tranny out to replace the engine rear main seal. I kicked around the idea of replacing/rebuilding the tranny then. An expert convinced me to change the torque converter and leave the tranny alone. So that's what I did. We now have 170k miles and all is well.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 240k on what seems to be original transmission... I now have a built 6.0L hooked to that old Trans. Is running like a champ. I am doing a built transmission.. However I wouldn't bother replacing for preventative maintenance.

Here's what I would do...

Get a Trans temp Guage or swap cluster for one that has Trans temp.

I have done some pretty intense stuff, and my temp has never gotten much over 190.. typically is much lower. If you seem to be towing, climbing off road, etc and getting higher Temps, then install a larger Trans cooler. Will extend life of transmission.

Closely monitor fluid... Pull dip stick and while on white towel... should be pink color. If otherwise change fluid and filter. Some ppl say may wreck old Trans but I haven't ever had that problem... but if 8t does probably needed new / rebuilt transmission anyways.

People bash of 4L60e... I am tearing one down that blew up... It looks checkball messed up valve body and starved of fluid. on top of that was Frankenstein rebuild by somebody who didn't care about quality. probably what killed it to begin with.

I think the quality claims for 4l60e are mostly baseless people who didn't maintain them. I have had half dozen vehicles with them, beat the snott out of every one and never had major issues. Think worst was solenoids in my z28 camaro. They are a great transmission if anything clutches maybe a bit weak but other than that design is solid and proven over decades of production.

If you ever get a rebuild make sure is by a reputable shop, none of those Craigslist specials. I think they throw junk parts in the Craigslist specials. Should be about 500$ in clurches seals etc plus whatever else was needed for rebuild... I would expect good builder to be around 2 grand for a 4l60e... but not under 1000$

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne