Would you replace a Trans as preventative maint?

Replace, Rebuild dont worry

• Rebuild it with upgrades.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Replace it with a new one.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Don't worry Be Happy.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Just change the oil and filter.

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I have a local guy who was recommended by another shop. He sounds very knowledgeable. He recommends replacing bell housing and billet TC as well as updating other parts. His price is about $3 grand while in there we were going to replace the rear main too.

It looks like I am just going to hold off for right now and Don't worry be Happy...

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're not towing, send it. Even at max GVWR, you're really not stressing the transmission. The lift and bigger tires make it worse, but the 4.11s help alleviate that.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I would pull the pan to see what it looks like.

If all looks normal, i would just run it.
If you see signs of metal or a bit too much clutch material. Then i might think about it.

Minimum what i would do would be a fluid and filter.

Then follow another fluid change or two before the trip to ensure its all new fluid.
(Depending on how the fluid looks)

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
One somewhat "major" thing i would do as preventive task, fuel pump.

I had one go out 30 miles away from home.
Major pita.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I have a local guy who was recommended by another shop. He sounds very knowledgeable. He recommends replacing bell housing and billet TC as well as updating other parts. His price is about $3 grand while in there we were going to replace the rear main too.

It looks like I am just going to hold off for right now and Don't worry be Happy...
Your money, your call, just consider the warranty aspect. Even if he’s the best guy, a local shop is no help if in the future you have a problem in Colorado or elsewhere on the road. That pushed me into ponying up the money for a GM with a 3 year warranty I can take to any dealer.

OP
OP
Tozan

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Well the last 30 minutes of my trip the temp started to rise it hit 230 and stayed there it was mostly rolling hills at 50 mph. It was shifting and sounding normal it was just hotter than I expected. Earlier in my trip pulling monster grades at 80 mph it barley barely got that hot and cooled right back down. Most of the time it was around 195.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the last 30 minutes of my trip the temp started to rise it hit 230 and stayed there it was mostly rolling hills at 50 mph. It was shifting and sounding normal it was just hotter than I expected. Earlier in my trip pulling monster grades at 80 mph it barley barely got that hot and cooled right back down. Most of the time it was around 195.
Well, maybe now is the time.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Hopefully that was the last half hour of the return trip. Maybe it’s shedding stuff and plugging the cooler. And / Or the TCC is shot and it’s running unlocked all the time.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK Here is the set up. I have 209K miles and it has run hot more than a time or two I live in Aridzona. It has been working fine but, I am planning a high mountain elk hunting trip to Colorado next month it will be a 3k round trip...

Remember it has been working fine nothing weird has been happening with it... Should I get the transmission rebuilt or replaced before I go? If I was staying home I wouldn't bother worrying about doing this at all.. Am I just being a worry wort for nothing?
always use a Rental when going on trips

the 4L60e can last forever as long as the temp is at 155-165F spotted a 2LM70 with 300k miles on the original transmission

the 2LM70 is based on on the 4L60e I did have issues with shuttering but it was an electrical issue (insignificant voltage from the electrical system)

Upgrade the cooler to a HD3500 series with AUX fan

Transmissions are temperature sensitive higher the temp the shorter the life...

she works 100% shifts perfectly smooth with 106k.. like BRAND NEW . (Note it does not have a torque converter but a dampening system )

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645