Would 20 inch rims fit a 2003 Chevy Tahoe 2wd ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyMan954

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey I’m new to this forum, I just wanted to know if 20 inch rims fit a 03 Tahoe 2wd cuz I like bigger rims compared to the factory 16 inch rims that are on my truck…I’m going rim shopping soon and want to know what I’m dealing with. Thanks :)

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re gonna have to be more specific than that… I’ve had multiple sets of 24s on my 00 Tahoe with zero issues but 20s with fat tires rubbed at full turns…. 26s and 28s are also capable with some modifications.

Also I’m almost positive most gm 20s will fit with no problems as long as they’re running stock size tires

OP
OP
ChevyMan954

ChevyMan954

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You’re gonna have to be more specific than that… I’ve had multiple sets of 24s on my 00 Tahoe with zero issues but 20s with fat tires rubbed at full turns…. 26s and 28s are also capable with some modifications.

Also I’m almost positive most gm 20s will fit with no problems as long as they’re running stock size tires
Thanks for reply, I’m looking at getting 20x8.5 rims, I have a 2wd 2003 Chevy Tahoe LS with current rim size of 16x7…basically I want the rims of a 2010 Chevy Tahoe

OP
OP
ChevyMan954

ChevyMan954

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

DDFF4BC9-7779-4ACC-9FCF-2FB2CA4FC3F6.jpeg

Yukon_Maui

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If the overall tire and rim size is 31” or less you’re good. If you wish to bump up to 33” you’ll need to level the truck with aftermarket torsion keys. Just make sure you get 6x5.5 lug pattern for the rims.

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will for sure fit. I’m slammed on 24s so 20s won’t be nothing.

Attachments

• 969240BF-1946-45B3-8A45-CA7F840F4622.jpeg
    969240BF-1946-45B3-8A45-CA7F840F4622.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 97E4E8EE-A4E5-4E3E-8024-317638F7D587.jpeg
    97E4E8EE-A4E5-4E3E-8024-317638F7D587.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 11

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I would agree that a 20" rim will fit on your truck, as stated above. You should also try to match as closely as you can the 20" rim offset, so that it is close to your stock rim.

Regarding wheel/tire combinations that will fit your truck without rubbing, no 2 trucks and their suspensions are exactly alike, due to a number of factors including accumulated wear on the suspension components and different wheel widths and offsets, so there is no guarantee that what fits with no rubbing on one truck will automatically fit with no rubbing on your truck. Other folks' experiences can guide you in one direction or another, but the final test will be when you mount the wheel/tire combination on your own truck.

To assist you in getting a good idea on whether or not specific alternate wheel/tire combinations 'may' fit your truck with no rubbing, I recommend that you use the wheel/tire comparison app at the URL listed below. You can use this app starting with your existing wheel/tire combination as a benchmark, assuming that there are currently no rubbing issues with it, and measure the actual critical fender and suspension component clearances as directed by this app. Then, you can enter alternate wheel/tire combinations, and this app will give you the projected changes in these critical fender and suspension component clearances.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I used this app for determining whether on not I could use my current alternate wheel/tire combination, and it accurately projected the changes in critical clearances. Again, the use of this app in not an absolute guarantee that an alternate wheel/tire combination will fit without rubbing, but it provides a much better assessment, or projection, than simply an educated guess on your part, or a statement from others that it worked on a truck other than yours.

OP
OP
ChevyMan954

ChevyMan954

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I would agree that a 20" rim will fit on your truck, as stated above. You should also try to match as closely as you can the 20" rim offset, so that it is close to your stock rim.

Regarding wheel/tire combinations that will fit your truck without rubbing, no 2 trucks and their suspensions are exactly alike, due to a number of factors including accumulated wear on the suspension components and different wheel widths and offsets, so there is no guarantee that what fits with no rubbing on one truck will automatically fit with no rubbing on your truck. Other folks' experiences can guide you in one direction or another, but the final test will be when you mount the wheel/tire combination on your own truck.

To assist you in getting a good idea on whether or not specific alternate wheel/tire combinations 'may' fit your truck with no rubbing, I recommend that you use the wheel/tire comparison app at the URL listed below. You can use this app starting with your existing wheel/tire combination as a benchmark, assuming that there are currently no rubbing issues with it, and measure the actual critical fender and suspension component clearances as directed by this app. Then, you can enter alternate wheel/tire combinations, and this app will give you the projected changes in these critical fender and suspension component clearances.

I used this app for determining whether on not I could use my current alternate wheel/tire combination, and it accurately projected the changes in critical clearances. Again, the use of this app in not an absolute guarantee that an alternate wheel/tire combination will fit without rubbing, but it provides a much better assessment, or projection, than simply an educated guess on your part, or a statement from others that it worked on a truck other than yours.
Thanks for your reply, I’m glad I found this forum, I’ll try the app, that’s very cool that there’s an app like that available, it should help…I know there’s a lot of stuff that comes with changing your rim size

OP
OP
ChevyMan954

ChevyMan954

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

BCC289BA-04B5-426C-A0D0-BC0E9E969EDB.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645