Worth the effort?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PistolPT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone? First time poster here, but I have been lurking/creeping this forum for several months. I have a 2013 LS and have decided to upgrade my drab cloth interior to Katzkin leather. I've been searching on eBay for the last few weeks and it looks like I can get all 3 rows for $700-$750 without shipping and without a couple of the tools needed. So I guess I would anticipate spending at least $800 for everything. From what I've seen on here a couple of people have gotten better deals than that, but this is all I could find for all 3 rows in ebony (or graphite). There is a local shop here in Charlotte who can do it all for $1150. I'm certainly not afraid to take on the install, but my question is, I was wondering if people who have done the Katzkin (or other brand) install thought it may be worth the extra $300 roughly to get it done and would it be worth it to save the time and effort for a little extra? I've seen some people comment it wasn't "too bad" and someone recently said it was "not fun". Just curious...

OP
OP
PistolPT

PistolPT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yup, it was definitely worth the the extra $300 to get them done professionally...

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems like a great price for all three rows. I keep seeing $700 or so for the front seats for my OBS on Ebay.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just saw this, and I'd say yes, it's DEFINITELY worth the extra $300 to have the seats professionally recovered!! That's a deal, IMHO.

I'm in the middle of recovering the seats on our 86 SVO. The seats have some additional bolster padding, which makes the install even more of a challenge, but it is really kicking my butt. The back seat wasn't a big deal, except for all the pulling and pushing it took to get things in the proper position before hog-ringing things into place, but the front seats are particularly bothersome.

I even have some pretty good tools, especially in the stretcher and hog-ring pliers department, but I'm not sure I'd ever do this work again.

Keanen55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently did mine and it wasn't hard. GM has gotten away from the hog-rings and is using velcro and a snap channel (if that makes since) mostly to secure the cover. The front seats are EASY! The second row was a little more difficult because I got lazy and didn't remove them from the truck. On a scale from 1-10, I'd give it a 6. Worth installing them yourself and save the $3-400 in labor!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts