Wipers stop periodically

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wipers will just stop working periodically. If I turn them off, then back on again, they usually start right up again.

Electrical gremlins can be hard to diagnose when they are intermittent like this on is. I don't want to just throw parts at it. Any idea whether it is more likely the multifunction switch or to wiper motor itself?

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To diagnose the wiper motors we would need to hear/see more symptoms. From your brief description, it sounds like your multifunction switch. But I wouldn't rule out a busted wire in the steering column, either. Your truck is over 20 years old; a wire could have metal fatigue -- or even rubbed on something -- such that it makes contact *most* of the time.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wipers will just stop working periodically. If I turn them off, then back on again, they usually start right up again.

Electrical gremlins can be hard to diagnose when they are intermittent like this on is. I don't want to just throw parts at it. Any idea whether it is more likely the multifunction switch or to wiper motor itself?
typically it is the wiper motor pulse board going bad, if there is a junkyard around you try grabing a used one.
intermittment problems suck because unless you spend a lot of time trying to narrow it down sometimes you just gotta try the most common things

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your ideas. I see that the pulse module has two contacts that could have corroded in the elements. I may look here first, as they may simply need cleaning. I may wait for better weather though. I don't like working in the cold rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar