Wind Noise = Driving me insane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 2005 Tahoe with 55k miles and the wind noise from the driver's side door is driving me freaking insane! It starts happening around 50mph and is worse when there is a cross wind. It's so loud, I can't talk on the phone when driving at 70mph if there is any wind blowing that day.

I have read a few posts regarding the issue and the only two fixes I've seen are to 1) put a 3/8 inch semi-rigid fuel line inside the weather stripping and 2) put the window down, knee against the panel, and cheat the top of the door inward a little bit. I have tried both of these solutions and neither makes a damn difference. When the noise starts, I can squeeze the door and A pillar together with my hand and the noise pretty much disappears.

Anything else I can try before I just open the door, back it into a pole and let a body shop fix it over and over until it's silent?

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havent heard of using that fuel line trick. I just took that sticky weather stripping stuff from walmart and used that. Works a little bit

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Mine is the same way. It's too cold for me to figure out a fix, so I just deal with it for now. I was thinking about puckheads idea though.

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put a piece of paper in the jamb at the top of the door and close it. if you can pull the paper out with door closed, you need the door adjusted. i had the same thing, took it to a body shop where i know the owner. he did the same test, took a 2X4 put it between the door and body close to hinge and pushed the window frame part of the door in a bit. he did it till the paper wouldnt slide out, no more wind noise.

2000Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this problem. Roll the window, down open the door, put your knee on the door panel and pull on the top of the frame.

Takes a bit of trial and error to get it fixed.

OP
OP
S

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried pulling the top of the door in with the window down, but maybe I didn't pull hard enough. It made a cracking type of noise so I stopped. Maybe it needs to be done when it's warmer...

I wonder how much a body shop would charge to adjust the door for me?

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
was your truck ever in a wreck?? take a look outside and see if the door is lined up... it sounds like the door is not set properly. I would call around to see if a shop will do this for you cheap... maybe not though cuz it takes time and equipment.

you may also have a hole in the weather seal... have you checked?

OP
OP
S

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, never been in a wreck and the door seems to fit just like the passenger door.

The weather stripping has a few holes on top...I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be there?? They look like they were put there on purpose and are the same distance from each other.

Also, there are two weather strips sort of, which one is making the noise, the lower one?

OP
OP
S

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a hole every 6-8 inches along the entire weather stripping. They definitely look like they are there on purpose. Does no one else have these? You have to bend the strip down a little to see them...

IMG00164-20101229-1308.jpg

IMG00162-20101229-1307.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz