Why the switch to big rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bryan8252

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight into why there seems to be a push by automakers to have their big SUVS rolling on 20" and 22" rims? I don't have them, never drove on them, nor do I want them. A few people I've talked to aren't happy with the ride quality of them.

I am looking to replace my current Lexus GX 460 with a larger SUV and the Yukon is one I am looking at, but it seems the lowest rim size is 20". I don't really want to spend $75k and then another $3k for rims/tires.

15burban

Reaction score
Mainly for looks is my guess. We have 18s on our suburban and they look a little small compared to the rest of the vehicle. I do like the 18s though for more sidewall since we live on a gravel road and the country roads are pretty bad in our area.

If buying from a dealer you could see if they would swap out the 20s or 22s for 18s if they have another vehicle on the lot with on. Or some dealers by me have factory take offs for sale that might be able to be worked into your deal for little or no cost.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

In my opinion, the reason is two-fold.

(1) @15burban covered the aesthetics reason for you already, and from the many threads in this Forum on wheel looks and preferences, this is important to many SUV owners.

(2) When SUVs first came out decades ago, they were used primarily for off-road adventures. Lots of tire height was preferred on overland terrains to avoid damage to the SUV, and at that time 15" wheels were the standard, and the high side-walled tires worked out very well for those purposes. Fast forward to a decade ago, SUVs became popular for on paved road purposes and ultimately a family vehicle. As a result, quality of ride became a priority, and safety of handling became an issue for these top heavy trucks. Using a tire with a shorter height sidewall took out the bounciness of the high height sidewalls (had to be balanced so the ride did not become too firm) and improved handling of paved roads, and since the overall height of the wheel/tire combination had already been established, a shorter height tire sidewall necessitated a larger diameter wheel.

Just my 2 cents worth.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look on the interwebs, or FB marketplace for a set of take-offs. Usually can find decent deals. Then sell yours to someone who's all about dem dubs.....

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purely aesthetics. Im sure you would have no problem finding someone to trade their 18s for your 22s
I custom ordered a 2019 suburban (I Know not a 2021+). Papers signed deposit down I leave. A few days later I get a call, we can't place your order. It has the wrong wheels and will not look "right". I go in explain the Z71 off rad package and the reason for 18's. They tell me they have never seen 18's on a suburban. I take them out to there lot, show them a blacked out Z71 with 18's. DUH order placed.

I was at an Firestone/Bridgestone dealers conference and had dinner with a number of dealers. They love the low profile tires. Half the tire life $$$. Also in the northern pothole states, many cracked rims.

Reaction score
I hate large wheels/low profile tires on trucks/SUVs, but I know as the brakes get bigger the wheels need to get bigger to clear them. That being said, I think 18s are like the minimum to clear current brake setups. My 20s don't ride bad and have a decent amount of sidewall. I'd probably never go bigger unless the rubber/sidewall is bigger also.

My 2001 came with 17s, which was big for back then

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was at a Firestone / Bridgestone dealers conference and had dinner with a number of dealers.
They love the low profile tires. Half the tire life $$$. Also in the northern pothole states, many cracked rims.
For the rougher ride of course. Can't help that with rubber band tires.
I remember when unnecessarily large (HEAVY) wheels first came into fashion.
94-96 Impala SS came with 17" wheels. (Was than when the whole metrozekzual thing was born?)
It's not like an Impala SS could measurably outhandle a Caprice 9C1 without aftermarket mods anyway.
So what were the 17" wheels for, really, except aesthetics?
Today's 255/50R17 tires barely perform any better than they did back then ...

Then came the Tahoe Limited, which used the Z56 suspension, except with different wheels (255/70R16?) ...
much like the Impala SS.

When did the Cadillac Escalade first go from 265/70R17 to 265/60R18?
By that time, idjitards and schmuckbeciles rollin' on dubbadubdubs (20+2+2); spinners were becoming a thing.

You know what else was becoming a thing at the same time?
Never saw more cars / trucks on two or three aftermarket wheels ... and one or two rusty spares ...
Never saw more vehicles on milkcrates with wheels & tires GONE; someone wanted them even more badly I guess ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019