Why can’t gm listen to its customers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the new 2019 premier extra.

I don’t want to be forced to buy a sunroof, I don’t want 22” wheels,
I do want hd towing and black tow hooks. I do want 60/40 second row seats and I want them in black.
Why can’t we order the trucks the way we want them, if we have a preference and the patience to wait.!!! ESPECIALLY if the options are available.

cheyenne383

Far North Lurker
Reaction score
"We're trying to target a certain market"

They have too many focus groups and not enough time with actaul buyers. Plus pushing them out as is saves them hundreds per unit vs the order process so they just make you buy it all... most people give in so they don't feel the pain, people just keep buying so they just keep doing it.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see the cookie cutter production model. But if I’m willing to order what I want and wait for a truck, why can’t they accommodate me the consumer. I’m too tall for the sunroof. The 22” wheels makes for an already too stiff ride and I think more people prefer the 60/40 split second row.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you need is the ability to 3D print your GM truck. Wouldn’t that be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatrusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I went with a Yukon SLT. Wanted the second row Bench seat. Could not get it with a Premier or Denali. Got all the other options I wanted.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong market segment, frankly.

GM designs mass-market trucks with option packages designed to appeal to the largest number of people. They aren't set up to be as configurable on a build-by-build basis as you want. That's not going to change.

You can go upmarket and buy a large Mercedes or Land Rover SUV, which you will be able to custom-order and have built according to a much more flexible set of options. It will cost much more.

I get that there are no full-size pickups available from high-end companies, and that even the SUVs I mentioned above aren't quite the same as a Tahoe or Yukon. That, again, is a product of what the market tells companies they should do.

EDIT: I do suggest taking a look at an SLT Yukon or an LT Tahoe. You can option those up to within an inch of the higher trim-level equivalents and might find the configuration you want there.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
GM designs mass-market trucks with option packages designed to appeal to the largest number of people. They aren't set up to be as configurable on a build-by-build basis as you want. That's not going to change.

This. First, you're looking at the most balls out model, of course its going to have everything. Second - 60/40 is not the preferred, second row buckets are. Third - If you dont want the 22's Im more than positive your dealer would be happy to keep them and swap with some 20's (of course at the 22 price). Fourth - Add an aftermarket trans cooler. It will be better than what GM has to offer anyway. And tow hooks are cheap - just bolt them on.

GM isn't around to cater to just you. They cater to millions and millions. I cant go to Samsung and ask for a green framed TV when all they make are black. I don't mean to be a dick but is what it is.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong market segment, frankly.

You can go upmarket and buy a large Mercedes or Land Rover SUV, which you will be able to custom-order and have built according to a much more flexible set of options. It will cost much more.

I get that there are no full-size pickups available from high-end companies, and that even the SUVs I mentioned above aren't quite the same as a Tahoe or Yukon. That, again, is a product of what the market tells companies they should do.

EDIT: I do suggest taking a look at an SLT Yukon or an LT Tahoe. You can option those up to within an inch of the higher trim-level equivalents and might find the configuration you want there.
That is spot on and GM is not the only manufacturer doing this. A classic example is Ford -- who is cutting variants of its vehicles in order to reduce production costs. You can also look at Honda, Toyota, etc. and see that the choices are fairly limited.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also look at Honda, Toyota, etc. and see that the choices are fairly limited.
Even more so than the domestics, I believe. Seems like those companies are very likely to offer 2 or 3 package levels only with very little a-la-carte.

orchidcrazy

Reaction score
I shopped for a year to find a SWB with bench and no sunroof. I wanted 20" wheels but gave them up for 18's - fine with me, ride is nice, wheels don't have that ballsy look but oh well. I also wanted the town package but they are HARD to find used around me - not many camping folks where I live. I don't tow often, I had an '03 with the 'terrible for towing' gears and towed for 11 years - I don't tow often and am currently without a camper so I gave up the tow package. Can't get everything, especially when looking at used.

In my neck of the woods, Captain's Chairs are the bees knees in a Suburban or Yukon XL but a dime a dozen in SWB and sit on lots. Now if you find a SWB with a split bench, those can sell sight unseen - scary especially with 15's and the issues they had but yup, sell like hot cakes. In a SWB, the split bench is a hot seller around me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel