Whooshing sound when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Landonz

Reaction score
2013 chevy tahoe with 60K on it. 5.3L. When driving at low speeds i don’t notice it, but under hard acceleration i get a whooshing sound. If i let off, it goes away immediately. Any ideas?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s the wind through your hair. JK… check your intake on both ends.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hard to believe that this could be it but maybe a partially clogged catalytic converter. Where is the noise coming from? Front, middle, back? Maybe have an experienced friend be outside and accel hard bast him/her and see if they can pinpoint area where noise is coming from. Maybe get back pressure test on exhaust. Can you open hood and do the hard accel and hear it? Does the noise increase with speed and/or intensity thru the acceleration process?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe that this could be it but maybe a partially clogged catalytic converter. Where is the noise coming from? Front, middle, back? Maybe have an experienced friend be outside and accel hard bast him/her and see if they can pinpoint area where noise is coming from. Maybe get back pressure test on exhaust. Can you open hood and do the hard accel and hear it? Does the noise increase with speed and/or intensity thru the acceleration process?
This is what I was thinking too. Sometimes an exhaust restriction sounds exactly like what he's describing.

OP
OP
L

Landonz

Reaction score
I’ll have to take it out on the back roads and check it out closer. Thanks for the leads! I also noticed when i put it down to the floor, i get a very fast and quick whistle sound at full throttle. Any idea?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts