Whoosh Sound From Left Front Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

merlin1128

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought this was my problem with getting a "whoosh" noise from the left front wheel every time I started the Tahoe and drove out of my garage. It only happens one time I get this noise and can drive for hours and it does not come back. If I shut down the Tahoe and wait a minute or so then start it back up and drive away turning the wheel makes that "whoosh" noise only one time and drives perfect.

I did replace the power steering pump due to it was whining and thought that was it, but it just cured the whining noise from it.

I just do not get why it can drive for hours perfect and not do it, but a simple shut down and restart driving away it does it again. I even tested it leaving it in park pulling over with it still running and no noise at all.

Only happens after it is shut down and started back up and then any simple turn of the wheel I hear that noise which sounds like from left front wheel.

I have no problems with the steering at all and brakes feel fine, so not getting this one... Any thoughts?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it loud enough to record? Can someone else start it while you’re outside by the wheel or have the hood open? Is your fluid full? If you remove the top and have someone turn the wheel can you see bubbles?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am assuming, should not do that but I must at this point, that you checked for anything that can rub when turning. I did not see you say whether the noise is heard with just any type of a turn or a steering stop turn. I am assuming, that term again, that because you said "any simple turn of the wheel" that you mean any amount of turning and not to the stops. How old are the hose(s) on your steering system? It almost sounds like the act of turning could be freeing something inside the system and then the problem is purged by the pressure that can move that something around. This is a strange one. Condition of tires? Happens on ANY surface? Type of fluid in the system?

Here I go assuming again, that the noise being there before the pump fixed the whine, that you had no air in the system at that point and now still do not since the whine is gone and the OLD noise is still there.

OP
OP
M

merlin1128

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it loud enough to record? Can someone else start it while you’re outside by the wheel or have the hood open? Is your fluid full? If you remove the top and have someone turn the wheel can you see bubbles?
Fluid level is full and already had someone look and no bubbles at all.

OP
OP
M

merlin1128

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am assuming, should not do that but I must at this point, that you checked for anything that can rub when turning. I did not see you say whether the noise is heard with just any type of a turn or a steering stop turn. I am assuming, that term again, that because you said "any simple turn of the wheel" that you mean any amount of turning and not to the stops. How old are the hose(s) on your steering system? It almost sounds like the act of turning could be freeing something inside the system and then the problem is purged by the pressure that can move that something around. This is a strange one. Condition of tires? Happens on ANY surface? Type of fluid in the system?

Here I go assuming again, that the noise being there before the pump fixed the whine, that you had no air in the system at that point and now still do not since the whine is gone and the OLD noise is still there.

I already checked and nothing is there to rub on anything when turning and even driving slow after it does it I can turn the wheel back and forth when I took it where I had room to do it and only one time. I park in my garage and can pull out just fine having to make a left turn and it can do it then or it can do it when I am driving straight after my turn out going about 10 to 15 feet. If I go somewhere and park on the street and just go to drive away with a simple turn it happens. I can stop and pull over still running parking and try to do the exact same thing and no noise. Then if I pull over doing the exact same thing and turn it off and pull away again I get that noise. I know very strange how it will do it one time only and cannot be duplicated until I shut it down and it does it only one more time.

Even when I start it up and press on the brake, turn the wheel either way back and forth, no noise at all. It has to be moving to do it and can even do it while driving straight after about 10 to 15 feet moving.

The hoses are original and when I changed the pump looking at them they looked great. I take really good care of it and I know under the hood cars and trucks can be a total mess, but I keep mine clean.

What you said makes perfect sense when it starts up it is freeing something up that built up pressure and when it gets shut down something builds up pressure and it does it again to release it.

Tires are great and put some nice Michelen's on a couple years back and still plenty of tread for sure and never did it back then. It can happen on any type of surface and when I put the new power steering pump in I used synthetic.

It is a 2005 and it just turned 100K and I would say the majority of the miles are mostly highway going to my summer home in Wisconsin since I got it.

I am wondering if it is something with that front caliper or master cylinder when I first pull away where pressure builds up and then releases. Brakes are still good and had them done a while ago and maybe bleed them if air somehow got in, but I never leaked any fluid ever and never had to add it. What do you think?

I can try to get someone to record the noise and it is just a sudden little "woosh" noise that happens so fast and then gone as above until I turn it off and start it back up.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d guess if there was an obstruction that becomes displaced you’d have an air pocket in front of it causing the noise. Otherwise continuous fluid has no noise. You mentioned pulling over with it still running to try to replicate it what about doing that from a fresh start sitting still? If it’s steering fluid related it has to be fluid right? Or could the new pump be defective? You’re right this one is a tough one without being there. There’s a few regulars here that may have better ideas @swathdiver @Tonyrodz @SnowDrifter @iamdub to name a few.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought this was my problem with getting a "whoosh" noise from the left front wheel every time I started the Tahoe and drove out of my garage. It only happens one time I get this noise and can drive for hours and it does not come back. If I shut down the Tahoe and wait a minute or so then start it back up and drive away turning the wheel makes that "whoosh" noise only one time and drives perfect.

I did replace the power steering pump due to it was whining and thought that was it, but it just cured the whining noise from it.

I just do not get why it can drive for hours perfect and not do it, but a simple shut down and restart driving away it does it again. I even tested it leaving it in park pulling over with it still running and no noise at all.

Only happens after it is shut down and started back up and then any simple turn of the wheel I hear that noise which sounds like from left front wheel.

I have no problems with the steering at all and brakes feel fine, so not getting this one... Any thoughts?

Could it be the purge of your air ride suspension? They bleed off a short time after start up, could coincide with your routine of departure.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The only noise that I have heard in different vehicles after a start up that is kind of like this is the pressures equalizing at the a/c system orifice but that is typically at the passenger side and has nothing to do with turning. This is a strange one.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was leaning towards something with a hydraboost system, but it's a Tahoe. This is a strange one for sure! :hmm:

A video showing the exact events with the sound clearly audible would be a lot of help.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I was leaning towards something with a hydraboost system, but it's a Tahoe. This is a strange one for sure! :hmm:

A video showing the exact events with the sound clearly audible would be a lot of help.

You and James hit my 2 thoughts.
Air ride, Hydroboost.
My Tahoe has hydroboost.