2009 Yukon 2WD; New metal-on-metal sound from front end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because the drive gear slid forward on the shaft away from the flywheel
Yeah that's what I was thinking was possible. When moving the driveline was pushed up a tiny bit to make contact.

Nope. It’s the return spring. Replace the starter and quit stalling. :p
I will when it gets here alright! haha Boy if that doesn't fix, you're gonna hear it from me. Its gonna be cold in FL this week, damn it! Will update...

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was thinking was possible. When moving the driveline was pushed up a tiny bit to make contact.

I will when it gets here alright! haha Boy if that doesn't fix, you're gonna hear it from me. Its gonna be cold in FL this week, damn it! Will update...
I think this is one I’m willing to lay a nice bottle of whisky down on! :drink_nl:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something bouncing around in the torque converter area. Maybe a torque converter bolt backed all the way out or a rock got up in there.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score

How cold?

Reaction score
That’s your starter. The drive gear return spring has failed allowing the drive gear to bounce against the flywheel. Yes, I’m 100% sure this is what it is. It’s textbook for one of these.

Easy replacement. Remove negative battery terminal, remove right front wheel, remove fender liner, disconnect the cables from the starter, remove the 2 starter bolts from under the vehicle, wiggle the starter out. Install new one, and everything else is the reverse of removal. Removing the heat shield over the manifold makes it easier to wiggle the starter out from the side.
If you want to make it exciting you don't have to pull the wheel / fender.

You'll cut your hands up a bit but when I had to do mine on the side of the road it worked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts