Who needs a high dollar cold air kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can imagine haha, if something like that would pass by in the Netherlands, I would buy it, although I'm going e-fan! But they say the working of 200-912 and 200-919 are the same, but the 912 is build to clear the shroud and fan. I'm just wondering if they are really identical in gains, why would you otherwise make a different one for the mech-fan and one for the e-fan.

Anyway, I'm going e-fan first before doing Airaid MIT I just decided ;)

I also asked that question to @BlackBearPerf about a certain octane tune. Why that is necessary because the Chevy computer already does that? We only have 95 or 98 octane for example. I did a read-out at my local tuner also, he said the computer is noticing which fuel you use and will change according to that. So I'm wondering why everybody does the octane tune also?

EDIT: And I can't find out if the first gen 5.3 Vortec engines have gaskets and hoses that can handle ethanol. Since our fuel changed in 2019 in the Netherlands, there is 10% ethanol in Euro 95. I only tank Euro 98 now because that has E5 but most of the time 0% ethanol in it. We've a website to see if your car can handle it, but the American cars are not on that list... in late 2002 the flex fuel models came, so it's logical they can handle ethanol, but what about the first 5.3 vortec engines..... I think for the LS1 for example, 98 is now adviced for that car here.

EDIT2: For example BMW e36/e46 M3 should tank 98 fuel only, because those are race engines.
European octane numbers are different than us numbers. But its because of the different testing procedures. European 98 octane is equivalent to the US 91. Heres a link to read
https://www.etuners.gr/fuel/

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah ok.
Well its because the factory is so careful with how they setup the original tune. If an engine can make 350 horsepower and lasts 100,000 miles (160,000km), but can be detuned to 275 horsepower and make 200000 miles (320,000km) the factory will go that route. Because less power will be easier on the transmission and other driveline parts. And that will hopefully get the vehicle out of the warranty period before any major issues so that they dont have to cover them.

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah ok.
Well its because the factory is so careful with how they setup the original tune. If an engine can make 350 horsepower and lasts 100,000 miles (160,000km), but can be detuned to 275 horsepower and make 200000 miles (320,000km) the factory will go that route. Because less power will be easier on the transmission and other driveline parts. And that will hopefully get the vehicle out of the warranty period before any major issues so that they dont have to cover them.
Mua partly true but that is not the part of the tune I mean. I mean the ''octane'' tune. If the PCM sees for itself what fuel you use, why would you tune it to a certain octane tune? @BlackBearPerf

The other stuff I know, but also A lot has to do with the environment and exhaust fumes and regulations. In the 60/70, a 350 made more horses then a 1996 350 for example.. And I know the restrictions from factory and are very excited for the BBP engine/gearbox tune, but I want to know where the octane tune is good for?!

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mua partly true but that is not the part of the tune I mean. I mean the ''octane'' tune. If the PCM sees for itself what fuel you use, why would you tune it to a certain octane tune? @BlackBearPerf
From what i understand it is not a tune that "sees" the octane you are using. It is a tune that REQUIRES at minimum octane or there will be detonation/pre-ignition.

Example, you can go walk by a beehive in shorts and a t shirt and they will leave you alone for the most part. Thats like a stock tune and normal clothes.
But want to shake the hive for honey. ( High performance tune) You should have on a bee proof suit ( higher octane)

Hope that makes sense

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what i understand it is not a tune that "sees" the octane you are using. It is a tune that REQUIRES at minimum octane or there will be detonation/pre-ignition.

Example, you can go walk by a beehive in shorts and a t shirt and they will leave you alone for the most part. Thats like a stock tune and normal clothes.
But want to shake the hive for honey. ( High performance tune) You should have on a bee proof suit ( higher octane)

Hope that makes sense
It makes a little sense. I think I must conclude it is better to tune it to the certain fuel you use, so it's more efficient, then when you let the computer decide...?

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It makes a little sense. I think I must conclude it is better to tune it to the certain fuel you use, so it's more efficient, then when you let the computer decide...?
Sort of yes. Its more that the tune will dictate the minimum octane you can use. The computer doesnt actually "see" the octane, it "hears" it.
In the US we generally have 87 89 91 93 octane gasoline. A stock tahie will run fine on any one of those the ignition timing is low so it doesnt care. If you get a tune for say 89, with a little more aggressive timing you may get spark knock. If that happens, the knock sensor "hears" the noise and reduces timing and thus reduces power.
Now say you go all out and get a tune for 93 octane. You had better run 93 the timing will be pretty aggressive so you may get away with 91 but 87 would probably cause issues if you towed or hotrodded the vehicle. As the knock sensor may not catch the knock right away and pull timing too slowly.
The factory tune can adjust some, but when you get a tune, you're kinda saying this is the octane i plan to always run, Tune for that octane.

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sort of yes. Its more that the tune will dictate the minimum octane you can use. The computer doesnt actually "see" the octane, it "hears" it.
In the US we generally have 87 89 91 93 octane gasoline. A stock tahie will run fine on any one of those the ignition timing is low so it doesnt care. If you get a tune for say 89, with a little more aggressive timing you may get spark knock. If that happens, the knock sensor "hears" the noise and reduces timing and thus reduces power.
Now say you go all out and get a tune for 93 octane. You had better run 93 the timing will be pretty aggressive so you may get away with 91 but 87 would probably cause issues if you towed or hotrodded the vehicle. As the knock sensor may not catch the knock right away and pull timing too slowly.
The factory tune can adjust some, but when you get a tune, you're kinda saying this is the octane i plan to always run, Tune for that octane.
Thanks for taking the time to explain :) And then the result will be more power because the computer is reconfigured to the fuel you're using all the time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts