Whirring noise after alternator change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It’s been a while since I visited here, due to a family emergency. But the power steering pump is definitely where the whining is coming from per my mechanic. He said he has the same 2009 Tahoe as mine and his has whined for years with no steering problems. He also said it’s a 2 1/2 hour job to replace the pump because you have to practically take the whole front of the truck apart, and I may as well replace the lines too. I only put about 500 miles a month on the truck, only using it to tow and haul occasionally. It’s been whining about 3 months. My questions are, how long can I expect the whining pump to last, and is there a less expensive remedy to replacing the pump?

First: I a not a fan at all of additives. Second: You could try an additive to help quiet down the vanes in the pump and see what happens. Maybe do a p/s flush of all the fluid and see what new fluid does and then do the additive if you want after that or just try the additive without the flush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz