Which is best fuse to pull for anti-theft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about the fuel pump relay I just don't want to mess up anything on my computer from what I can tell I've got a few more choices like ignition 1 ignition 2 crank fuel pump and starter relay
You won't mess it up. With the engine running, pulling the fuel pump relay is how you change the fuel filter. It stops pumping fuel, and it burns off what it can in the line.

Do they make a club for the steering wheel? Anything to make it a bit difficult will help. And it's visible. Any thought about the cat. converter?
People knew 5 minutes after those things were invented how to defeat them. The outside hand grip of your steering wheel is nothing but foam and rubber. You can cut through it in about 3 seconds with a hacksaw blade, and about 5-10 seconds with a swiss army knife. It takes you longer to install it, and lock it, then it does to defeat it.
Along the same idea, I've seen something similar, made out of metal for the gas pedal. Those seem like a better idea. More or less locks it in place.

OP, honestly the best way to defeat it is to add a hidden kill switch.
* Disconnect batt neg.
* 05+ has the fuse cover with the efan relay pack cover attached, so pull the 4 bolts for the corner brace.
* Pull the tabs out of for the fuse panel cover, and tilt the panel in.
* Pull the terminal off the pin for the 30 amp Fuel pump relay.
(#30 is 30 amps power, as in from battery, as in 12v main power feed)
(across (diagonally) is the main switched power, so 87 is to the fuel pump).
(85 is ground, & 86 is trigger wire)
* Now you have the pin off of 87. You can splice into it, you can create a wire with a male spade, but then you run that new wire into the cab, and wire it to, and mount where ever you want to hide your new hidden kill switch. You can put it under the dash, up into the side of the seat under the cover, under the center, under the dash, under the carpet to where it's foot activated.

1699500402707.png

You have just quickly added a kill switch that can even be hidden from passengers if you wanted to. The other benefit to this is, when you go and park, nobody is going to see you stop and go under the hood, and into your fuse box if someone might be watching.

Honestly just pulling the fuse is kind of silly. You have plenty of other fuses that someone could look at the panel, and swap out, (if someone saw you do it).

Of course someone would still have to break into your vehicle, would still have to beat the key/passcode, and would have to bother with it not starting.

When you say vehicle theft is a problem, you might want to look into what kind of vehicles. Near the Mexico border, they want 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Every scumbag knows how easy kias are to snag. There's nothing special about a 20 year old tahoe. A 5.3 is a few hundred bucks, and you can get em anywhere. If you don't have big flashy wheels or a stereo that sticks out, you're not setting yourself up as a target. Unless you've added a lot of money in visible parts, there's no money in an NBS 1500.
Nothings a guarantee, but IMO the best thing you can do is, to not make YOUR tahoe a target. Keep the stock wheels on there, Keep the interior empty so people can see there is nothing to take, and don't keep a big subwoofer enclosure in the back. I just don't think people want to steal a tahoe, they would just want your wheels or your stereo, and your tahoe helps them get away with it.

OP
OP
D -money

D -money

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You won't mess it up. With the engine running, pulling the fuel pump relay is how you change the fuel filter. It stops pumping fuel, and it burns off what it can in the line.

People knew 5 minutes after those things were invented how to defeat them. The outside hand grip of your steering wheel is nothing but foam and rubber. You can cut through it in about 3 seconds with a hacksaw blade, and about 5-10 seconds with a swiss army knife. It takes you longer to install it, and lock it, then it does to defeat it.
Along the same idea, I've seen something similar, made out of metal for the gas pedal. Those seem like a better idea. More or less locks it in place.

OP, honestly the best way to defeat it is to add a hidden kill switch.
* Disconnect batt neg.
* 05+ has the fuse cover with the efan relay pack cover attached, so pull the 4 bolts for the corner brace.
* Pull the tabs out of for the fuse panel cover, and tilt the panel in.
* Pull the terminal off the pin for the 30 amp Fuel pump relay.
(#30 is 30 amps power, as in from battery, as in 12v main power feed)
(across (diagonally) is the main switched power, so 87 is to the fuel pump).
(85 is ground, & 86 is trigger wire)
* Now you have the pin off of 87. You can splice into it, you can create a wire with a male spade, but then you run that new wire into the cab, and wire it to, and mount where ever you want to hide your new hidden kill switch. You can put it under the dash, up into the side of the seat under the cover, under the center, under the dash, under the carpet to where it's foot activated.

View attachment 413710

You have just quickly added a kill switch that can even be hidden from passengers if you wanted to. The other benefit to this is, when you go and park, nobody is going to see you stop and go under the hood, and into your fuse box if someone might be watching.

Honestly just pulling the fuse is kind of silly. You have plenty of other fuses that someone could look at the panel, and swap out, (if someone saw you do it).

Of course someone would still have to break into your vehicle, would still have to beat the key/passcode, and would have to bother with it not starting.

When you say vehicle theft is a problem, you might want to look into what kind of vehicles. Near the Mexico border, they want 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Every scumbag knows how easy kias are to snag. There's nothing special about a 20 year old tahoe. A 5.3 is a few hundred bucks, and you can get em anywhere. If you don't have big flashy wheels or a stereo that sticks out, you're not setting yourself up as a target. Unless you've added a lot of money in visible parts, there's no money in an NBS 1500.
Nothings a guarantee, but IMO the best thing you can do is, to not make YOUR tahoe a target. Keep the stock wheels on there, Keep the interior empty so people can see there is nothing to take, and don't keep a big subwoofer enclosure in the back. I just don't think people want to steal a tahoe, they would just want your wheels or your stereo, and your tahoe helps them get away with it.
Thank you for the awesome post this really helps me as a matter of fact I pulled the starter relay last night and someone tried to break in and steal my truck and thrashed the ignition this morning sometime but they didn't steal my hoe because my relay was missing evidently most thieves don't have spare relays in their pockets but I'm going to follow up on what you said and thanks for everyone who helped me on my quest to keep my truck from being stolen.. I really appreciate everyone's help wirh this and hopefully we can get this out so that nobody gets their truck stolen

OP
OP
D -money

D -money

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the awesome post this really helps me as a matter of fact I pulled the starter relay last night and someone tried to break in and steal my truck and thrashed the ignition this morning sometime but they didn't steal my hoe because my relay was missing evidently most thieves don't have spare relays in their pockets but I'm going to follow up on what you said and thanks for everyone who helped me on my quest to keep my truck from being stolen.. I really appreciate everyone's help wirh this and hopefully we can get this out so that nobody gets their truck stolen
The vampires that come out at night in Seattle to steal trucks and converters believe it or not have a somewhat sophisticated Network where they case trucks well in advance to make sure it's a safe theft knowing that the cops won't do anything or even follow up on a theft is even a more incentive that's why I want to protect my assets even though it's not worth a lot of money I love my truck. And even more so I have a personal Vendetta against anyone that tries to violate me or my property.
Vanilla with a 9. Call me stupid but that's me, and I know in Seattle the odds are stacked against me but I'm willing to take that chance.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the threat of theft is that high, just install a GPS tracker and get a QD steering wheel. No need to go pulling fuses or messing with the electrical systems.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leave Seattle, Portland, LA, San Francisco, Oakland, if you can. If you must park your car in a large lot, to work on a boat,... take a cab. ( Thieves are attracted to 'long term' parking, or even lots at 'health club gyms', because thieves know they have an hour to steal.

The thieves coordinate on social media to highlight easier targets..... ( shoplifting mobs, and vehicles, but the DOJ can't be bothered to investigate social media sites).... So, you are on your own, unfortunately. But,.. HEY!!! Buy an older EV, to park at your long-term parking... They hate EVs. :D

Last edited:

lyncht1967

Reaction score
yeah, i think crank fuse would be a good one...wouldnt even have to mess with going under hood twice as its right on left side dash...just slide it in a blank slot or under car mat. I attached a diagram so folks can see its role in starting circuit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-11 211738.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-11 211738.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 4

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a establishment in Cincinnati that has a parking lot which only offers “their customers “ 10 minutes free parking. Since the adjacent business is a well visited face food location, many times the wrong customers try to utilize an open parking space. Within 30 seconds of them walikng away from their ride, a tow company is backed up against it and 60 seconds later it’s gone. Could happen to your ride as well.
whats that got to do with preventing theft, lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s an example of how quick the grab and go trucks can take your ride, fuses or not.
a lot more risk doing it that way, and that's not your common tweaker/fentanyl addict without 2 cents to rub together.
if I was going to have enough money to afford a tow truck to go jack cars i am going to go where the money is like new trucks or high end vehicles.
I am not saying it doesn't happen but put yourself in there shoes, what ya gonna do? steal the 10 year suv or that shiny new mercedes sitting next to it?
whats the chopshop going to pay you for each?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
a lot more risk doing it that way, and that's not your common tweaker/fentanyl addict without 2 cents to rub together.
if I was going to have enough money to afford a tow truck to go jack cars i am going to go where the money is like new trucks or high end vehicles.
I am not saying it doesn't happen but put yourself in there shoes, what ya gonna do? steal the 10 year suv or that shiny new mercedes sitting next to it?
whats the chopshop going to pay you for each?
Prolly not looking to score the average SUV. But are ours average? Today it might be on Memphis’s list. Probably not called Elenor though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar