which fuel to use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slick2500

Reaction score
Although i will say, 3-4x a year i fill it up with super (93) on the off chance it will help 'clean' the rails, injectors and fuel related crap like that. I know its a long shot but it cant hurt it, its not getting used to it by using it all the time and it makes me feel like im doing something good for the old 'hoe.
I do believe that you are thinking of e85 for flex fuel trucks, premium fuel, around here anyway, doesn't have anything in it that other grades of fuel do not. So doing this doesn't do what you think it does. Now on flex fuel trucks running a tank of e85 through it about once a month will clean everything up pretty good.

Sent from a galaxy far far away.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do believe that you are thinking of e85 for flex fuel trucks, premium fuel, around here anyway, doesn't have anything in it that other grades of fuel do not. So doing this doesn't do what you think it does. Now on flex fuel trucks running a tank of e85 through it about once a month will clean everything up pretty good.

Nope, never used e85 and i do put super(93 around here) every once in a while. And i may be wrong(which happens from time to time...lol), but i thought that premium(super, plus,...whatever you want to call it) along with having a higher octane content, has more detergents/condtioners than reg. But like i posted, on the off chance it does something helpful, it makes me feel better anyway...

I just pulled this of the interweb(don't believe everything you read....lol)
'5) The octane rating of premium and regular gasoline varies from state to state.One state may require a minimum rating of 92 to be considered premium, while another may require only 90. Most gas stations offer three octane grades: regular (usually 87 octane), mid-grade (usually 89 octane) and premium (usually 91 or 93). Consult the yellow stickers on each gasoline pump that are mandatory and indicate the octane rating,

And, something else to consider: Six automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi, believe using Top Tier Gasoline that contains a higher-percentage of detergent additive from that required by the EPA standard, provides optimal engine performance. They claim that lower concentrations of detergent additive lowers the quality of gasoline and can leave deposits on engine parts, such as fuel injectors and intake valves, which can lower engine performance, vehicle responsiveness and increase emissions. BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota developed the Top Tier standards under which gas retailers must meet in order to qualify as a Top Tier gasoline retailer.'

slick2500

Reaction score
Like I said all the gas stations around here all the fuel uses the same additives only difference is octane rating. A lot of the stations also only actually carry 85 octane(not e85) and 91 octane premium gas and to create the midgrade fuel the 85 and 91 are mixed at the pump. Needless to say I don't stop at those gas stations.
As you stated each state is different as to what they have at gas stations.

Raider1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

why is that? what does E85 has that will clean everything up pretty good?

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
And, something else to consider: Six automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi, believe using Top Tier Gasoline that contains a higher-percentage of detergent additive from that required by the EPA standard, provides optimal engine performance. They claim that lower concentrations of detergent additive lowers the quality of gasoline and can leave deposits on engine parts, such as fuel injectors and intake valves, which can lower engine performance, vehicle responsiveness and increase emissions. BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota developed the Top Tier standards under which gas retailers must meet in order to qualify as a Top Tier gasoline retailer.'

Top Tier gasoline refers to the company that refines it, not the Octane rating. This means less than it used to, but there used to be a very noticeable difference in Cheap (dirty) fuel from somewhere like Murphy's, and a Top Tier like BP.

running top tier fuel through every now and then CAN help clean, if the specific refiner has added detergents to do that. Otherwise buy a good fuel treatment, and do it every 3k miles or so. I use Techron every 3k.

that being said, I swear my truck runs better on 89 than 87 with an improvement in mileage, but it goes back down with 93. Once I ever get it tuned, I'll tune it to premium.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using 89 from Costco. no issues. something I have noticed, my exhaust sounds badass is it possible previous owner modded it? I raced a stock 2010 yukon the other night and left them in the dust and their exhaust sounds like a normal quiet stock exhaust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STRIVIN

Latest posts