Where's It Going (coolant)???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 XL...adding 1/2" a week. Three garages + the Dealer all say: "I dunno"!
No symptoms like rough idle (could balance a nickel on it), loss of MPG (none - gets 22 on the road), smell outside-or-in (none).

Did the big 4 Tests multiple times at different garages: Visual look, Pressure test (always good), Dye Test (no visible leaks), Head Gasket test (fine).
Then why have I added 1/2" coolant weekly for the past year???

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Condensation on oil fill cap?

When you say pressure test always good - how long did you leave it @ 15PSI?

Have you pulled the valve covers for a look?

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your pressure cap leaking? I had the same problem with my 99 Tahoe. The radiator cap was no good. It gave out at 7 psi and vented a small amount of coolant overboard. It might be as simple as a defective cap. Aloha!

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because cracked heads are common, a quick and easy check involves removing the valve cover and pressurizing the cooling system. Then you can look for seeping coolant in the head.

Check post #31:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/latest-oil-change-oil-filters.99646/page-4

I did not have condensation in the oil cap, no milkshake in the oil. My oil did thicken and darken between oil changes. Since doing the heads, the oil is still almost clear by the time I change it now.

The signs were VERY subtle for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mccubbinsjl