Where to mount resistors for LED taillight bulbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

66 Galaxie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are people mounting resistors for LED taillight bulbs on '21-'22 Tahoes and Suburbans?

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just used zip ties to have them float in the air on my tahoe. I made sure to keep the resistors from touching thw wiring harnesses as well. I have had no issues with the lights or any rattles from them.

OP
OP

66 Galaxie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I may try that but was thinking of using self tapping screws to attach them to the body if I can find a good spot.

Just waiting for the temps to get at least to the mid 20s before working on it. Hoping that way plastic parts aren’t too brittle.

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am about to tackle this project for the third time on my 23 Premier…

Clarification…..not third try on same 23…..2021 Premier and 22 Z71 were the other two.

I think I found the right application and mounting point on the 22.

Rather than having the resistors hang loose like the 21. I made a mounting plate.

If you look when the lens assembly is removed you should see a small little flat spot a touch over 1/2 way up.

I cut about a flat piece of aluminum….3X3 or 4X4 sound familiar for the dimensions.

Whatever size it is cut four pieces. You probably wouldn’t be wrong to cut just a touch over the dimensions and use a Dremel tool to make a “relief cut” in the corners and fold over.

I also used two pieces of wood….anything will do, I used simple pre cut pieces from Amazon.

Glue the two pieces of wood together first.

After the two pieces of wood dry, repeat same step to the aluminum pieces to each side of the wood.

The wood is basically a spacer for the resistor screws.

When the mounting plate is assembled, you can drill the pilot holes for the resistors. I believe I did I did a slightly offset for the center resistor….( outer and inner use the top of the bracket and the middle aligns with the bottom)

Not done yet….

Take 24 flat washers…….

Take two for each resistor mounting screw location. Insert between the mounting bracket and the resistor……stay with me, it will come obvious in a few steps.

When all the resistors are mounted to the mounting plate (s). Take a piece of Velcro and mount as normal. Doesn’t matter what side goes against the mounting plate.

You probably figured out the area to mount the other side of the Velcro.

Back to the washers….

I wanted to get some protection against the heat of the LED’s and resistors. Here’s how……I used a custom cut piece of aluminum foil to wrap around the resistors. This should hold the heat of the resistors in and prevent melting of the wires. The aluminum foil wrap should also prevent melting of the lens assembly.

The mounting plate with Velcro makes it easy to remove for whatever reason…usually trade in. Just cut the resistor wires at the splice point and move on.

I will try to be more conscientious about getting in progress photos this time.

Trust me with the Cold Snap the project would not be done for a few days even if all items were on property!

OP
OP

66 Galaxie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

SCiesie154

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am curious to know why we would be mounting resistor panels in new vehicles for led lights?

OP
OP

66 Galaxie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoes and Suburbans do not come with LED bulbs in the taillights for Brake, Turn or reverse. When switching the stock incandescent/filament bulb to LED you typically get error codes due to the electrical draw being less than stock so the system thinks there is a bulb out. The addition of appropriate sized resistor(s) creates the extra electrical draw to mimic the current used by the stock incandescent/filament bulb and not trigger a bulb out error code.

Here is a picture of one mounted for the right backup light before being connected.

691F6998-2849-42AC-90CF-EBCD546544F4.jpeg

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoes and Suburbans do not come with LED bulbs in the taillights for Brake, Turn or reverse. When switching the stock incandescent/filament bulb to LED you typically get error codes due to the electrical draw being less than stock so the system thinks there is a bulb out. The addition of appropriate sized resistor(s) creates the extra electrical draw to mimic the current used by the stock incandescent/filament bulb and not trigger a bulb out error code.

Here is a picture of one mounted for the right backup light before being connected.

View attachment 388076
Ouch. Drilling into the body like that hurts to see. To each their own I suppose...

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use the search. There is another tread where someone stuck the resistors behind where the lights mount. It was a white Tahoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076