Where is my coolant going?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlueBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, did a search but didn't find much in the way of similarities of my issue. My Hoe is losing coolant. I keep checking the oil, thinking maybe a head gasket has blown, but it's still clean looking (for 2500 mile old oil). I know the intake gaskets are prone to giving up the ghost, so I'm aware of that. I had the water pump, and most of the hoses, replaced recently and just noticed it acting up here recently. I have considered that the radiator cap doesn't fit well, but I'm not convinced there. There is never a puddle under it where ever I park it, so I don't think there is a leak in that sense unless it leaks somewhere when I'm driving it.

First question: Will the oil still go milky on me?

Second question: I'm pretty short on funds and tools, and while mechanically inclined, haven't turned a lot of wrenches are far as working on the hoe goes. Would this (replacing the intake gasket) be a job I could handle?

Third question: Even being pressure tested after the new water pump there wasn't a leak, could there be a leak that only occurs when I'm driving?

Fourth question: Could it have something to do with the heater hose connection?

Thanks for any and all help guys. I appreciate it and will gladly respond with anymore info as needed.

Simpleaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine was leaking down back and turned out to be intake gasket failure with some antifreeze in the lifter valley of intake. I only noticed a couple streaks of orange. About 60 for gasket set and some time. Plenty of posts about this on here. Done at 53k and now 159k

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Sorry. I didn't really answer the questions

Mine never milked the oil. I just noticed to add some coolant to overflow and though hummmm.

Water pump leak is usually obvious or at weep hole on pump.

Repair is not too hard but lots of steps. Also not too expensive. Total I spent 150 with gaskets, timing cover (oil leak), coolant, misc. I will look for the links I saved. I found a couple step by steps and photos.

Took about 5 hours.

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Yep intake gasket my silvi needs it done i might do it or miht just let school do it. No milky oil just the coolabt gets dissapeared

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
Very good chance it's the intake gaskets.

Order the felpro intake gasket kit from rockauto for $60. I can't remember the part number, but it's a metal and rubber gasket (blue rubber). It's the best one you can get.

As far as tools go, you need a basic socket and wrench set. Deep sockets are best. IIRC the egr was a 22mm and that was the biggest size wrench you need. T20 torx for the distributor, gasket scraper, razor blades, some brake clean, rags, tape.

I never noticed coolant in the oil on mine either, but my oil cap did have a red dexcool residue on the backside. I had coolant coming down the back of the block and dripping on the starter. You should check and see if yours is leaking there also.

I spent about $200 to do mine, but I put a new distributor cap ($60) and a new thermostat in.

Last edited:

Monstar_est87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the same problem... No puddles just missing radiator fluid and have 2 top off the overflow... and thanx for the parts list Dylan...

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
Gotta do it ASAP before your bearings are toast. Even if you don't see coolant in the oil I think it's still getting in there.

You also need a torque wrench, a can of parts blaster, new coolant, and a wire brush to clean the bolts (just get a cheap brush that fits a cordless drill).

I removed the thermostat and the upper radiator hose first, and ran the garden hose full blast into the radiator and ran the engine with the heater on to get all that old dexcool out before I changed the gaskets. The biggest pain in the ass was just getting those hoses off.

I did it in a parking lot over the weekend, it's not that hard. Just label everything and use cardboard with holes in it to organize your bolts and you will be fine. ;)

OP
OP
T

TheBlueBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Going to switch it out next weekend sounds like. Since I'll be in there, anything else I should check/replace possibly?

tlamot01

Reaction score
The heater core control valve (passenger side between firewall and fender well underneath intake box). That valve cracked for me and the only way I could tell it was leaking was to inspect the frame rail which had some unusual rust spots. The valve costs about $12 and should be replaced anyway while the intake is removed. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401