Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OriginOfKaos

Reaction score
Driving my yukon and noticed steam from under the hood. Popped hood and had yellow green coolant on these spots and on the ground. Just want to make sure its not a head gasket. Guy i bought it from just put in a new radiator the day before i bought it.
Screenshot_20231004_220847_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From those locations you indicate, it could potentially be A/C refrigerant you're seeing.

If the radiator was just replaced it could also be what was spilled during the process. When head gaskets leak externally on these 5.7's, the evidence is typically below the head itself. Not higher up in the engine bay.

I would however be questioning if the engine ever overheated at one point, especially since the radiator was recently replaced. Wouldn't hurt to do a cooling system pressure check and/or compression test to verify head gasket integrity if it's not obvious visually.

Otherwise, start it up, get it warmed up, pop the hood and start looking for anything obvious.

OP
OP
O

OriginOfKaos

Reaction score
I Did and found there was a hole in the upper rad house. It had some sort of mesh cover so it was hard to notice. Thanks!!!!

OP
OP
O

OriginOfKaos

Reaction score
From those locations you indicate, it could potentially be A/C refrigerant you're seeing.

If the radiator was just replaced it could also be what was spilled during the process. When head gaskets leak externally on these 5.7's, the evidence is typically below the head itself. Not higher up in the engine bay.

I would however be questioning if the engine ever overheated at one point, especially since the radiator was recently replaced. Wouldn't hurt to do a cooling system pressure check and/or compression test to verify head gasket integrity if it's not obvious visually.

Otherwise, start it up, get it warmed up, pop the hood and start looking for anything obvious.
Thanks. I did end up finding that the upper rad hose had a hole in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia