Wheel bearing sound but definitely not wheel bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cutsheal5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have recently developed a noise on my 01 denali I thought It was the tires at first or a wheel bearing, but the noise is only active when I thouch the throttle if I am coasting or breaking there is zero noise as soon as I touch the throttle I get the noise sounds like a wo wo wo wo not grinding just humming I have heard carrier bearings are common. I am new to working on these trucks as I have always had cars but I am very mechanically apt what's the best way to check this situation out its really annoying, mind you It's snowing here and I have no access to a hoist. Just floor jacks and stands

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What part of the vehicle does it sound like its coming from?

Denali AWD yes? maybe a transfer case whine , a buddys C1 denali truck did that before his broke, but it also had a slight "clanking" noise to it as well

OP
OP
cutsheal5

cutsheal5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes it's awd honestly sounds like its the left front wheel if I listen closely

txsmainevent

"The Lurker"
Reaction score
Had something similar. End up being the wear bar on the brake pads. Just throwing it out there before you assume worse. It wouldn't make any sounds sitting still.

OP
OP
cutsheal5

cutsheal5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks but I am pretty sure its not the brakes as it only happens under light acceleration or cruising, I'm 70-80% sure its the front diff. I have also read that the front driveshafts are known for making noise and there is a replacement driveshaft available. How would i Find out if it has been replaced with the new updated one, Also does anyone know any good sites to buy a front diff rebuild kit (bearings and seals) I would prefer timken, The front diff is leaking a little oil now anyways so I might as well just get it all done rather just have the parts so the tranny shop can just do it.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say the front diff. Pull your drain plug and see if you have any metal stuck on the magnet. there good to about 100k depending on how you use your truck. It is a common problem and if you catch it soon enough you can get away with new bearings. I just had mine done and it was $465, that was me pulling it out and bringing it in.

chacho44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks but I am pretty sure its not the brakes as it only happens under light acceleration or cruising, I'm 70-80% sure its the front diff. I have also read that the front driveshafts are known for making noise and there is a replacement driveshaft available. How would i Find out if it has been replaced with the new updated one, Also does anyone know any good sites to buy a front diff rebuild kit (bearings and seals) I would prefer timken, The front diff is leaking a little oil now anyways so I might as well just get it all done rather just have the parts so the tranny shop can just do it.
Lmao, I got the same thing goin on with my 03esv smh. Tackling the front differential soon, post where u got your bearing kit from. Gl

OP
OP
cutsheal5

cutsheal5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for all the replys guys, being as I no longer have a shop to work in I was thinking about having someone else rebuild the diff for me but then I found this

http://gmgearheads.com/Buy-Now/

Anyone have experience with these guys seems legit 1 year unlimited mile warrenty and free shipping! Pop the old one out pop this one in everythings new with warrenty for about the same price it would cost to have rebuilt

Is there any difference in gearing for the denalis or are they all the same from 01-06>?

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lmao, I got the same thing goin on with my 03esv smh. Tackling the front differential soon, post where u got your bearing kit from. Gl

I'm in Portland and I took my front diff to Six States Dist, they did it for $460 give or take a few $$

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowassc10

Latest posts