Wheel bearing gone bad coincidence?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 2004 tahoe z71 4wd with 168k miles. Got it with 149k miles

I recently took the truck to the tire shop to have my tires replaced on my 20” aftermarket rims. Installed some Hankook Dynapro ATM

Anyways about a 2,000 miles or less of driving the truck I’m getting this loud humming or roaring sound from the wheel. Sounds like an airplane and when driving around a corner on the freeway the noise goes away so I’m concluding it’s the front drivers side wheel bearing.

Is it a coincidence that it went bad or is could it have something to do with the tire shop not reinstalling the wheel back on right? For example I had a tire shop strip my studs on a different vehicle one time because they didn’t have the wheel pushed all the way back in the studs and the guy just torqued the lug nuts on with the tool (drawing a blank as to what it’s called lol)

I never had an issue with the wheel bearing in the past but they are probably something that just fail without any warning all of a sudden? Truck still drives fine just loud as hell. Can barely hear the radio on the freeway

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a 2004 tahoe z71 4wd with 168k miles. Got it with 149k miles

I recently took the truck to the tire shop to have my tires replaced on my 20” aftermarket rims. Installed some Hankook Dynapro ATM

Anyways about a 2,000 miles or less of driving the truck I’m getting this loud humming or roaring sound from the wheel. Sounds like an airplane and when driving around a corner on the freeway the noise goes away so I’m concluding it’s the front drivers side wheel bearing.

Is it a coincidence that it went bad or is could it have something to do with the tire shop not reinstalling the wheel back on right? For example I had a tire shop strip my studs on a different vehicle one time because they didn’t have the wheel pushed all the way back in the studs and the guy just torqued the lug nuts on with the tool (drawing a blank as to what it’s called lol)

I never had an issue with the wheel bearing in the past but they are probably something that just fail without any warning all of a sudden? Truck still drives fine just loud as hell. Can barely hear the radio on the freeway
I don’t think the tire shop could have damaged the wheel bearing. It’s a part that fails.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you re torque the wheels after driving for 50-100 miles?
I always thought this was a cover you butt kind of thing, for when the tire place forgets to torque your lug nuts down. When I take a wheel off and then put it back on and torque it down, I never go back after 50-100 miles and re torque them.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought this was a cover you butt kind of thing, for when the tire place forgets to torque your lug nuts down. When I take a wheel off and then put it back on and torque it down, I never go back after 50-100 miles and re torque them.

I do and again after a few thousand. There's always one or two at least a few pounds off by then.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely timkens tho really wish i knew timken was the way to go a couple years ago.

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, took your guys’s Advice and ordered a pair of timken sp500300. I believe that is the correct part number for 4wd.

I found them on eBay for $110.00 for 2 of them which I thought was unusually cheap as most competitors sell them for about $100.00 for one. I messaged the seller and asking if they were actual timken and he replied yes. He’s also got many good reviews on eBay so I went ahead and ordered.

Don’t think I’ve heard of timken till you guys. How do they compare to moog? Also what’s a fair price to pay a shop to do both front side?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Moog is shit, IMO. They maybe used to be hot shit, but I've yet to get anything from them I can look at and say, honestly, "this is quality"

Timken has always made top of the line bearings. Not just for automotive, but large scale industrial stuff. Is there a bearing on a critical piece of mining equipment that costs $3k+ per hour on downtime? It's probably timken. No, seriously. I have a bit of contact with the heavy equipment world and the folks there tell me that on anything larger, or more labor intensive to get to, they use timken. Smaller stuff, non critcal parts, low labor things use SKF. Take that info how you will

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman