Whats the difference between 07-12 and 2013 headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Speck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how hard it would be to pull them apart and place a proper projector in that is designed for HID's intead of the halogen projector? To the op, @Ob1hybrid, have you checked the back to see how much room there is or if it is a 2" projector or 3" projector? I'd be curious what type would fit in there in place of it. Also, you mention having 6000k instead of 3500k, why? 3500k is going to give you more light output than the 6000k... the 6k only gives you useless blue light instead of usable white light. Just my .02... I look forward to seeing more pictures.

Joe

OP
OP
Ob1hybrid

Ob1hybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted 6000k because the leds fogs are white , the leds on the headlight are white and the turn signals are white/yellow switchables. It's a good look but I prefer it to be somewhat uniform.

Kensun is sending me a H1 Hid kit. I'll see how it works out. And I'll let y'all know.

goldata81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll throw in my 2 cents on my decision I made back in December for my '07 Yukon Denali regarding this topic...

We had moved out of town about 10 miles and into deer country and driving at night with the stock headlights was almost a death wish. I needed better light output and seriously considered the aftermarket Spec-D lights but with further research I decided to spend more $$ and retrofit some HID's into OEM housings myself. I couldn't find much info in reviews if the light output from the aftermarket Spec-D lights was decent or not.... people only seemed to comment about the aesthetics of the housings. I even thought about getting the Sped-D's and retrofitting a better quality HID kit if the light output was poor but there was no guarantee a retrofit kit would fit in the Spec-D housing. At this point I could care less if they looked good... I needed function over fashion on this. I couldn't bring myself to drop $1k on the Black Flame Customs lights since the truck was about 10yrs old with 120k on the odometer and I wasn't sure how long I'd have the truck (sadly it looks as though it is starting to rust since the paint is starting to bubble front of both rear tires) so I decided to retrofit them myself. Since I couldn't go without headlights during the retrofit, I bought new housings from rockauto and the DS2 4.0 kit from TRS. About 1-2 weeks of off-and-on working on them, I had them completed. I am kicking myself for not upgrading the lights years ago... the retrofit wasn't that hard (a dremel is a must) and the light output is a huge improvement.

There is no comparison with the light output compared to stock. The total retrofit cost me just under $500 ($310 spent at TRS) including new housings and some strip LED's I threw in the housings as well. I think the most difficult part was finding where to mount the ballasts. Here is a comparison pic with low-beams before/after(35w 5000K). I don't have any pics of the high beams but it is crazy how much light comes out of them on high.
20161216_SideBySideComp.jpg 20170403_184005.jpg

TravisBurrell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wanted 6000k because the leds fogs are white , the leds on the headlight are white and the turn signals are white/yellow switchables. It's a good look but I prefer it to be somewhat uniform.

Kensun is sending me a H1 Hid kit. I'll see how it works out. And I'll let y'all know.

What ever became of this? I have been wanting to try and throw low beam H1 HIDs and High beam h1 HIDs in this style of aftermarket set:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-2007-2014-GMC-Yukon-XL-Denali-Halo-LED-DRL-Projector-Headlights-Pair/382118370093?epid=1641972368&hash=item58f8079b2d:g:HokAAOSwLq5bF4Vt:sc:UPSGround!15101!US!-1

I know that the light output would be much better probably using other retrofits as mentioned but I was curious of the output of the crappy small projector with the H1 HID.

I already know the H1 LEDs wont fit and I know H13 LEDs wont fit in the stock housing. (Yes I also know its not best to throw LEDs or HIDs in stock housings. lol)

OP
OP
Ob1hybrid

Ob1hybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What ever became of this? I have been wanting to try and throw low beam H1 HIDs and High beam h1 HIDs in this style of aftermarket set:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-2007-2014-GMC-Yukon-XL-Denali-Halo-LED-DRL-Projector-Headlights-Pair/382118370093?epid=1641972368&hash=item58f8079b2d:g:HokAAOSwLq5bF4Vt:sc:UPSGround!15101!US!-1

I know that the light output would be much better probably using other retrofits as mentioned but I was curious of the output of the crappy small projector with the H1 HID.

I already know the H1 LEDs wont fit and I know H13 LEDs wont fit in the stock housing. (Yes I also know its not best to throw LEDs or HIDs in stock housings. lol)

I took out crappy bulbs and threw in the h1 8k HIDs just for a slight blueish tint. Looks nice. Be carefull if you decide to put switchbacks up top because oncomers would think your highbeaming. And highbeam you back.

TravisBurrell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had decided to buy a retrofit projector set that someone locally ironically was selling. Im going to be using those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE