Headlights - both stopped working (left/right, high/low beams)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmaddison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2012 Yukon Denali AWD 1500. About 125K, in case that means anything.

About a year ago I had my first headlight bulb burn out, driver's side. I replaced both left and right with "direct replacement" LED bulbs.

Yesterday both headlights stopped working. No high or low beams. Parking lights (and all other external lights) work fine.

I don't have other bulbs so I could not swap them out, but it would be very, very unlikely that both would fail at the exact same time... Especially LED's, I was thinking that was the last time I'd have to do something like that on the vehicle.

The vehicle has separate fuses for left/right high and low (four fuses), the odds that all four popped at once are slim to none but I checked them anyway, they're fine.

I swapped the relay in the engine compartment fuse box with two of the other identical relays in that box used for other purposes (the rear defroster and the parking lights.) No change in behavior of the headlights (no light), no change in behavior of the donor circuits - all continued to work fine with the former-headlight relay in place.

The inside switch seems to be working fine - at least it switches the parking lights, and the car "ding-ding-dings" when I turn it to other positions with the ignition on and door open.

Internet Rumor has it that there is something called a "headlight module" but I haven't been able to find anything on how to test that - or a part number in case I just wanted to buy a new one. So far I've drawn a blank on even "where is it"?

Seems like it has to be something that both headlights share in common - like the "headlight module", the switch, or perhaps a connector somewhere?

The car was worked on a few weeks ago (exhaust manifold replacement), I don't know that I've tried the ilghts since - we only use it when we need more space for something, it gets a few thousand miles a year. Yesterday may be the first time it's been used at night since the repair.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting, or anything that perhaps might need to be disconnected when replacing exhaust manifolds that maybe did not get reconnected after the job was done?

I've looked under the hood, of course, particularly around the manifolds, and no dangling wires or obviously disconnected connectors. Have pushed on all visible connectors too....

Ideas?

Thanks,

Todd

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

It is possible that both headlights have a common ground wire in the wire harness, and it has somehow become disconnected. It also would be good to see if you have 12 volts at the connector that connects to the LED, when the light switch is on.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
This is the 5th post I’ve run into today regarding NNBS & crazy issues after installing LED lights. In tail lamps this week I’ve seen the cruise control wiped out, interior lamps have taken out the rear DVD, steering wheel adjustment, etc.

The only consistent feedback I’ve seen for LED headlamps as a retrofit is are the ones with the micro electric motor embedded in them to create the needed load for the BCM not to freak out. Knock on wood.

Some of the side affects reversed themselves after replacing the OEM incandescent bulbs, some did not. The LED should not be run in reflectors type headlamp assemblies obviously projector beam only that can capture most of the light and keep it down on the road.

The LED industry is making a kill’n right now at the expense of a lot of owners systems crashing. For now, remember electric fan motor in bulb or fried BCM at a minimum.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, for basic troubleshooting, I'd pick up a cheap pair of halogen bulbs and swap them in, along with disconnecting the battery to "reboot" the system, to eliminate the LED bulbs themselves as the culprit.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the 5th post I’ve run into today regarding NNBS & crazy issues after installing LED lights. In tail lamps this week I’ve seen the cruise control wiped out, interior lamps have taken out the rear DVD, steering wheel adjustment, etc.

The only consistent feedback I’ve seen for LED headlamps as a retrofit is are the ones with the micro electric motor embedded in them to create the needed load for the BCM not to freak out. Knock on wood.

Some of the side affects reversed themselves after replacing the OEM incandescent bulbs, some did not. The LED should not be run in reflectors type headlamp assemblies obviously projector beam only that can capture most of the light and keep it down on the road.

The LED industry is making a kill’n right now at the expense of a lot of owners systems crashing. For now, remember electric fan motor in bulb or fried BCM at a minimum.
Interesting. I have had no issues following a complete conversion to LEDs, both inside and outside on my 07 truck.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2012 Yukon Denali AWD 1500. About 125K, in case that means anything.

About a year ago I had my first headlight bulb burn out, driver's side. I replaced both left and right with "direct replacement" LED bulbs.

Yesterday both headlights stopped working. No high or low beams. Parking lights (and all other external lights) work fine.

I don't have other bulbs so I could not swap them out, but it would be very, very unlikely that both would fail at the exact same time... Especially LED's, I was thinking that was the last time I'd have to do something like that on the vehicle.

The vehicle has separate fuses for left/right high and low (four fuses), the odds that all four popped at once are slim to none but I checked them anyway, they're fine.

I swapped the relay in the engine compartment fuse box with two of the other identical relays in that box used for other purposes (the rear defroster and the parking lights.) No change in behavior of the headlights (no light), no change in behavior of the donor circuits - all continued to work fine with the former-headlight relay in place.

The inside switch seems to be working fine - at least it switches the parking lights, and the car "ding-ding-dings" when I turn it to other positions with the ignition on and door open.

Internet Rumor has it that there is something called a "headlight module" but I haven't been able to find anything on how to test that - or a part number in case I just wanted to buy a new one. So far I've drawn a blank on even "where is it"?

Seems like it has to be something that both headlights share in common - like the "headlight module", the switch, or perhaps a connector somewhere?

The car was worked on a few weeks ago (exhaust manifold replacement), I don't know that I've tried the ilghts since - we only use it when we need more space for something, it gets a few thousand miles a year. Yesterday may be the first time it's been used at night since the repair.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting, or anything that perhaps might need to be disconnected when replacing exhaust manifolds that maybe did not get reconnected after the job was done?

I've looked under the hood, of course, particularly around the manifolds, and no dangling wires or obviously disconnected connectors. Have pushed on all visible connectors too....

Ideas?

Thanks,

Todd
I wouldn't over think it until you have pulled a pulled a bulb out and applied 12v to it and confirmed the bulb is working or not.
that's where you should start, after confirming all the above already.
the headlights probably do share a common ground but not have to. if you find a ground is the problem you can just add one. easy peasy.
i have ran aftermarket lights for decades.... it's a simple system. but....this generation yukon does have some odd ball stuff going on with there finagled headlight harness figuring out the wiring for adding a resistor was fun.....

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Interesting. I have had no issues following a complete conversion to LEDs, both inside and outside on my 07 truck.
Don’t get me wrong, I love, love, love the hid & led. If you’ve got info on a brand or LED interior kit, pls share. Even the self dimming cabin light in my ‘90 VW is pissed off with every led I’ve tried. The bulb stay on after dimming about 10%

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, I love, love, love the hid & led. If you’ve got info on a brand or LED interior kit, pls share. Even the self dimming cabin light in my ‘90 VW is pissed off with every led I’ve tried. The bulb stay on after dimming about 10%
The brands that I used are in my signature line.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
After a decade of messing with inadequate, incandescent bulbs I got a recommendation for my wife’s Barbie car, an 07 Beetle Vert, to run these. The fan acts as the resis.

The H7 retains the hi & low in each bulb and I’m still at … just WOW! In the projector beams assemblies the cut off, color, 150% drop in install and zero bleed to oncoming traffic is like I just walked out of 1970 technology.

Ursprung 2024 Upgraded H7 LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C3L5RLVG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan