Looking to buy 2013 yukon denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

travstick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking at a 2013 yukon with the 6.2 engine. I have recently test drove a 2012 yukon denali, for several weeks, that belongs to my boss. He owns a used car sales. The 12 model has the afm deleted with long tube headers, head studs, and what seems like aftermarket cam. It runs good but has little body damage and high miles. So, looking at the 2013, I'd like to buy it and do the upgrades to it. It has 140,??? Mile on it. What should I look for to determine if it is healthy and still worth putting some money and effort into? Any thoughts?

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking at a 2013 yukon with the 6.2 engine. I have recently test drove a 2012 yukon denali, for several weeks, that belongs to my boss. He owns a used car sales. The 12 model has the afm deleted with long tube headers, head studs, and what seems like aftermarket cam. It runs good but has little body damage and high miles. So, looking at the 2013, I'd like to buy it and do the upgrades to it. It has 140,??? Mile on it. What should I look for to determine if it is healthy and still worth putting some money and effort into? Any thoughts?
It really depends on cost. I wouldn't pay more than 12 for that because it probably needs a transmission sooner than later.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the carfax and any sercive records you can to see what the maintenance history looked like. At 140k, be prepared to put in 2k worth of maintenance (dealer cost) for just normal upkeep for another 140k of use. As stated by @blackelky if it needs a transmission, then budget another 6k.

The truck would have to be in REALLY good shape for me to want to invest in a full delete as well at this time. If a 6.2L with an AFM delete is what you want, then look at the 2012 you drove. High miles are nothing on these with proper maintenance. Or look at clean 2007-09 models with no AFM

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
If you like Denali, than yes, the 12-14 have a few cool tricks up their sleeves. What your boss did deleting the AFM, adding the cam and headers is removing its biggest weak point and turning it into a plus, and plussing it again. There’s also a 2WD option for 09+ vehicles.

It’ll have the later HDD Navi w/ hard drive for storing music, pause live radio, grid lines on back up cam as well as the option to add an $69 adapter for 12-14 Denali that integrates A2DP BT music streaming into the existing BT phone module.
That same HDD Navi allows an autosync module to allow back up auto on during turn signal or manually on anytime.

Lastly the same later model years have available ventalated front seats and retractable running boards on some. 12-14 also have front windshield style (laminated) glass in the front windows for theft protection and quieter cabin. It may have an integrated tow brake controller too. If you find one with tricoat pearl paint it’s more immune to clear coat peeling.

Enjoy the ride if you get it. It’s a 300k + mile chassis.

OP
OP
T

travstick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update..... the 12 model that my boss has, no idea of who or how long ago the swap was done or how it may have been driven since. As for the 13 model. I went to test drive it Saturday and as I parked my truck the salesman backed it out of its spot and I didn't even drive it because it was tickling so loud. My guess is that is why last owner got rid of it........

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update..... the 12 model that my boss has, no idea of who or how long ago the swap was done or how it may have been driven since. As for the 13 model. I went to test drive it Saturday and as I parked my truck the salesman backed it out of its spot and I didn't even drive it because it was tickling so loud. My guess is that is why last owner got rid of it........
Well, low ball it and start the AFM delete. You have leverage at this point. If it's rust free and WAY less than 12k, I'd go for it

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what's holding you back from the '12 that your boss owns with the AFM deleted and runs good? A little bit of body damage and high miles?

What are the details of the body damage? Dents? Rust? Broken trim pieces?

How many miles does it have?
What kind of condition is the interior in?
At what mileage was the AFM deleted and new cam and lifters installed?
Did the AFM delete and cam install work happen under his ownership or did he acquire the vehicle with that work already done?
Are you able to get any more details out of your boss on the AFM delete work done? Exact list of parts used and installed? This may be difficult if the work was done prior to him owning it, unless he got that information at the time of the transaction.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, low ball it and start the AFM delete. You have leverage at this point. If it's rust free and WAY less than 12k, I'd go for it

This may not be a bad angle to work either, especially since it sounds like it might have failed lifter(s) already. If you were already considering doing the AFM delete with lifters, cam, etc. This could be used to your advantage to get that price down! You could be starting at 50% of their original asking price. Take your AFM install build budget right off the asking price of the vehicle. Win Win.

From the dealerships perspective I highly doubt they want to pour a ton more money into fixing failed lifter/AFM system as they'll never re-coup it.

I'd swing back by the dealer or contact them and inquire about exactly why it was pulled of their lot.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may not be a bad angle to work either, especially since it sounds like it might have failed lifter(s) already. If you were already considering doing the AFM delete with lifters, cam, etc. This could be used to your advantage to get that price down! You could be starting at 50% of their original asking price. Take your AFM install build budget right off the asking price of the vehicle. Win Win.

From the dealerships perspective I highly doubt they want to pour a ton more money into fixing failed lifter/AFM system as they'll never re-coup it.

I'd swing back by the dealer or contact them and inquire about exactly why it was pulled of their lot.
This will be my strategy for finding a 2018+ when the time comes. I'll keep perusing FB marketplace in Phoenix for one that has a lifter tick and ask my nephew who lives there to have a look at it for me. If it checks out and they accept my offer, I'll fly out there and we'll load it on a car hauler to be shipped here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar