What Year is Reliable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

creekdaze

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I am looking into getting a Suburban for my wife and I'm curious if any of your folks know if there is any one year that may has proven to be more dependable than others. I currently own a 2001 Tahoe and it has been awesome for me. I've learned that model's engine and other major systems have proven to be very dependable for many of the owners. I've even had mechanics comment that they are one of the best engines chevy has made.

I'd prefer to steer towards a 2015 or newer, but if an older year is more reliable, I may be persuaded.

Lastly, if anyone knows if there is a site that tracks this type of data, I'd love to see it...please share.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I see here, 1997-2003 Are all I would recommend. However I fix my own- not payin a mechanic makes a big difference on over 150K mile vehicles. But the older ones still cheaper to fix- less stuff to break.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my 2001 Suburban is still going at 285k, original 5.3 engine and transmission, despite my attempts at abuse that have blown 3 rear ends due to towing really heavy things really far.

For the best absolute mechanical reliability and drive-it-into-the-ground durability, the 2500 trucks are it. Completely over-engineered components for the application. And no active fuel management system.

My 2008 2500 has 207k miles, is all-original, and has logged 25,000 miles of towing right at maximum ratings. I've spent about $300 in repairs over the last 7 years. Total. I fully expect at least 300k miles with minimal repairs/replacements.

The 5.3 in the 2000-2006 models was pretty damn good, but the 6.0 in the 2500 is even better. A legitimate 400k motor.

If you're looking for something mechanically reliable that you'd replace around 100k, most years would get you there.

I'm not a fan of GM's active fuel management, the cylinder deactivation for improved mileage. I'll never own one myself.

In that regard, I would avoid the 2007-2014 half-tons. And 2015 was the first year of the new platform, so I usually avoid those too. If cost isn't an obstacle, go 2016 or newer. If you're on a tighter budget, 2003-2006 would be my second choice. But you'd probably want to look at southern/California cars, since midwest/northeast models would probably have rust to some degree.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Been very happy with my ‘07 Yukon at 140k miles. No serious issues yet.

With that said...can I interest you in an ‘07 Yukon Denali that I’m planning to sell. Looking for money towards a Wrangler. :D

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2009 Yukon Denali or Escalade are the best. 07-08 aren’t bad either but the 09 has flex fuel and other small improvements. 6.2L has no AFM in 07-09.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most of them are fairly reliable in comparison to other suvs. the big factor with them is use and maintenance. the transmissions are reliable enough if they have been maintained and weren't treated like a semi truck. engines are also pretty reliable with regular maintenance. the other big factor is they are generally a fairly large suv length particularly but overall in general. so the undercarriage is also a big maintenance ticket item. northern states tend to have rusty vehicles and without proper undercarriage cleaning and such they can rust in typical spots you would expect. however years stated above do seem to get closer to 300k more often. regardless maintenance records and an undercarriage visual inspection will tell you everything you need to know.

03catburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a tech so I work on all kinds of junk everyday lol.

But in my experience the gmt800 is by far the best 99-06 if you include the trucks

OP
OP
C

creekdaze

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been very happy with my ‘07 Yukon at 140k miles. No serious issues yet.

With that said...can I interest you in an ‘07 Yukon Denali that I’m planning to sell. Looking for money towards a Wrangler. :D

I appreciate the offer, but we need something bigger. I have four kids, so we NEED the third row.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sowegatahoe87