What to do ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
well i was up until 3 am two nights ago replacing my water pump (started kinda late) and it was a real pain in the ass considering i probably just broke my finger trying to remove the fan and clutch assembly. Anyways all went well and i got rid of the coolant leak from the old pump. However here comes the bad, i discovered what i believe to be a head gasket leak :emotions122: Not 100% sure thats it but i know its leaking from either the head or back corner of the intake. Either way i'm having trouble deciding what to do, Replace the head gasket and intake gasket myself, swap the engine w/ a new or used, or part ways w/ my tahoe and start on a new project? keep in mind i dont have a garage and the only one i have access to i cant be parked there for more then a day or two, and i'm in school so funds are limited. Anyways sorry for the long story, but i'm interested in some opinions...

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
hmm. How much money is rounded up in your hoe right now? and like any car you go out and buy, youll have those little problems with it most likely. Shit will have to be fixed on it and what not. if you can get a buddy or 2 to give you a hand one nite, you can get it done fairly quick on your truck (gasket). If time is an issue for you tho, then swapping the motor is kinda outta the question. youll need a lot more time to do a motor swap and a shit load of tool aswell. You have to think since your truck is like 5 feet in the air, that youll need a big cherrry picker and some tall ass friends. lol

how much do you love your truck? and what about that 14bolt your doing to. ya know

OP
OP
99COOP

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
I think your exactly right. The best way for the time being and with money is to just go in there in replace the gaskets. If i were to sell it (which i debated) i would loose alot of money which i know is going to be the case on most modded vehicles. And to answer your question i love my tahoe, literally i probably just think about it or stuff to do w/ it about 1000 times a day. Buying a new vehicle will just pose more problems that will need to get fixed as well so your exactly right, and an engine swap is too much $ and time right now so we will hold off on that. I guess i just needed someone else to tell me lol, thanks.

-also project 14 bolt is coming along i just got back from doing a little work on it an hour ago.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
notta problem man, i couldnt lose another fellow OBS member here! haha and plus im waiting for that damn 14bolt write up.

you can drive it around for a bit with it leaking, it wont hurt. Just save a couple bucks a day and during the summer you can fixit or something. I wanted to sell my hoe alot of times, but with encouragement from friends and family, it helps.

rucr8z2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you to replace the intake gaskets(leaking at or near the corners of the intake and will trail down the crack between the head and block).........It is really rare on the 5.7 to leak coolant from the head gasket to the out side of the block...........

OP
OP
99COOP

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
Yea i would for sure replace the intake gasket if i was pulling it off as well, and i have read that its rare for them to leak out from the head. However i'm certain i can see liquid leaving the head where the gasket would sit:hmm: i will try and snap a pic tomorrow to get an opinion...

"350Vortec"

*Tahoeless, For now*
Reaction score
Replace the gaskets, Beautiful truck you have there. And nothing you can buy will be like the tahoe you put time, love, and sweat into. Plus buying a new car these days is NOT a fun time. I think i read somewhere that if you bought one vehicle in your lifetime, and repaired it as it broke instead of buying a new vehicle. You will save a good $50-60k in your lifetime.

jdawg901

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i might be wrong but when i changed out my pump i noticed a leak from the rear of the block it was the heater hose the little o ring gasket came out and was leakin fluid all down the rear of the block

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman