What Standard Is The USB Port in The Console? (i.e. 2.0, 3.0, ?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
Y'all,

I will be installing a splitter at the junction in the center console to power a low-consumption (16 mA) device that does not have any data connection, but I want to ensure I don't degrade the data capability from the stock port in the console. So, what USB standard will the splitter need to be?

This is for a 2013 Tahoe LTZ with the UYS-UL8 navigation head unit & rear seat entertainment.

Thanks,
Scrappy

OP
OP
Scrappycrow

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
Well, I wanted to get my parts order done and out of the way, so I went with a 3.0-in & 2.0/3.0 out splitter. The difference in price is minimal. I'll put the stock port on the 3.0 side and just use the 2.0 for the device.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to be honest on my 11 I've never found anything I plug into that USB to connect to anything. I don't know what it's for, but I doubt it's very fast.

OP
OP
Scrappycrow

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
Well, look what I found on page 7-32 of the manual: "The USB connector... uses the USB 2.0 standard."

to be honest on my 11 I've never found anything I plug into that USB to connect to anything. I don't know what it's for, but I doubt it's very fast.
You can play music from a USB device or iPod using the head unit.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you got it to play music? nothing I've plugged into mine has. ever been recognized. I gave up and found a Bluetooth to aux cord

OP
OP
Scrappycrow

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
Yep, it works fine for me. It finds all the folders with music and builds a playlist automatically. I've only tried MP3s; page 7-33 in the manual says: "Radios that have a USB port can play .mp3 and .wma files that are stored on a USB storage device as well as AAC files that are stored on an iPod." I've only tested this with one USB drive, though (a MicroCenter "gimme" 32GB USB 3.1).

Reaction score
If it was USB 3.0 the port would be blue inside.

I've used memory sticks with mp3s on them to play from, or starting with the 2012 model year, you can copy these to the hard drive that's built into the radio. I believe it's a 20gb or 30gb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660