What is the hdmi input good for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was happy to see GM finally upgraded the RES system with HDMI port starting in 2017 but I have yet to figure out what it's good for. We've had our suburban premier for 8mos now and I have yet to get anything to work correctly when using the HDMI input.

I've attempted to connect three different devices and either the system doesn't recognize it and screens remain blank or it will display the device but only in 640x480. When changing device output to 720p the truck does not accept it and remains at 640x480. It will display an xbox system but in a much smaller format so only a portion of the screen is being used.

I've seen many posts surrounding the issues but I haven't seen too many regarding the hdmi not working correctly. Were there software issues with 17 models? The software side of things is the only thing I can think of but my dealer of course had no idea when asked. Have any others had these issues?

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird. What have you plugged into it? Any streaming sticks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird. What have you plugged into it? Any streaming sticks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xbox, ps4, and amazon cube. I picked up the firestick and it works. Not sure if it's a software glitch or what with other inputs but the amazon stick works and streamed just fine, so the hdmi is not a total waste.

ChicagoBanker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My kids have plugged in their Nintendo switch and works great. I've plugged in an android box to watch a sports game on road, I've plugged in my phone to watch music videos while on road. The options are endless. If you want to see it up front while your SUV is not in park then you need to purchase a "GM Video in motion" adapter. I picked one up from Ebay and install was a breeze just take your time.

Denali4181

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can generally find an adaptor to convert most phones to HDMI so you can stream from it. Just another idea...

Chevyzr1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was able to get my Apple TV to work and display in 720p on the RSE.
I'm having the same issue on my truck only displaying 480 and when I switch my Apple TV to 720 it goes blank. If you don't mind me asking what year is your vehicle ? Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3