What is it with these F*KNG valve covers and fill tubes!!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point, I'm kinda lost in this thread. Your stock filler neck should lock fully and firmly to your stock valve cover. Maybe something was replaced along those 300K+ miles? The filler on my bro's '05 was crooked and slightly leaking. When I had the cover off, I just removed the filler neck then pushed it back in straight so that it bottomed out on the flange, then turned it to lock into place. I'm thinking it was turned and popped loose at some point in its history and just wasn't reinstalled properly. Maybe with the way the threads of the caps and necks are designed, they can twist into position with the tab that's cast in the cover either over or under the thread. In short, maybe you weren't pushing down/in hard enough? Try removing the O-ring to test it with no interference to see if you can get the neck to sit how it should. The cap pulls itself down tight as you turn it, the neck needs to be pushed down tight then turned.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point, I'm kinda lost in this thread. Your stock filler neck should lock fully and firmly to your stock valve cover. Maybe something was replaced along those 300K+ miles? The filler on my bro's '05 was crooked and slightly leaking. When I had the cover off, I just removed the filler neck then pushed it back in straight so that it bottomed out on the flange, then turned it to lock into place. I'm thinking it was turned and popped loose at some point in its history and just wasn't reinstalled properly. Maybe with the way the threads of the caps and necks are designed, they can twist into position with the tab that's cast in the cover either over or under the thread. In short, maybe you weren't pushing down/in hard enough? Try removing the O-ring to test it with no interference to see if you can get the neck to sit how it should. The cap pulls itself down tight as you turn it, the neck needs to be pushed down tight then turned.
Look at post #53.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at post #53.

Ah. So, he has a neck for a different cover and needs either a different neck or a different cover? But, why wasn't his original neck and cover not playing well together- Broken? Had been popped out and not properly re-seated? Had been replaced but with the wrong neck?

KE0GB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That valve cover looks like lipstick on a pig. :( Simple Green washing that engine this spring/summer.
Just stay clear of those knock sensors on the top of the engine under the intake manifold.
They LOVE to accumulate water and corrode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT MOTORSPORTS