What have you taken a chance on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured this could be a good thread to get a discussion going.

So recently I turned 200K and I thought to myself, wow that's a lot of miles and I've replaced a lot along the way, but one thing stands out.

In Jan 2016 I needed front hubs, and funds were low so I took a chance on a set of hubs from Detroit Axle on eBay. I paid $106 for the pair shipped to my door. I installed them no problem, fit perfect.

Well that was two years and 55K miles ago...they've held up great! Original plan was to hope to get 10K out of them and it would be Summer and I could buy Moog or something else but hell, I took a chance on this and it worked out in my favor.

As far as what didn't...I bought one of those $5 USB chargers for the cigarette lighter from a gas station...it started smoking when I was charging my phone. So I recommend going with something like Apple or Samsung for that lol.

Anyone have any other things for their truck that they took a chance on and it worked out...or maybe it didn't?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/171199732864

cycho

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I took a chance on a 2013 Tahoe LTZ with 71,000 on the odometer. BIG CHANCE! Bought floor mats, center console tray, trash bag, and a rear seat dog hammock from Amazon. Good so far. New tires from Discount Tire, good as well.

The volt meter moves from 12 to 15 on different days, not sure what that means. The rear washer fluid hose came loose, put it back together, that was ok. The dirver side door arm rest/handle is broken on the underside, not sure what to do with that. The XM radio does not go to the high channels (200-300 range) but otherwise sounds better than my home stereo.

The real bother for me is that the thing has a bad sway, I wouldn't call it a roll. It feels like the back sways which cause the front to want to over steer. It takes alot of concentration when traveling the three hours up North to our cabin. Getting a little more use to it but the vehicle just should be doing that.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Took a chance and ordered two "Dorman" heater hose "T's" off ebay, Part # 800-413 and 800-414 and paid about $31 for the pair. When i got them "made in china" stamped proudly on the box, somthing just didnt feel right. Ordered GM oem part # 15055342 and 15055343 from rock auto for about $48 and compared them to the Dorman product, BIG difference in wall thickness, color and texture of plastic and injection mold differences. Ill stick to OEM as much as possible! anyone want the Dorman T's for free? I did take another chance and ordered a TECH2 knockoff from china that is being shipped currently, I hope for good results for only $275 from aliexpress. It is hard to say no to saving money but most of the time we get what we pay for, It is such a great feeling to save money, Have it go right and prove the nay sayers wrong but it isnt without risk.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Two weeks ago I took a chance on a 2013 Tahoe LTZ with 71,000 on the odometer. BIG CHANCE! Bought floor mats, center console tray, trash bag, and a rear seat dog hammock from Amazon. Good so far. New tires from Discount Tire, good as well.

The volt meter moves from 12 to 15 on different days, not sure what that means. The rear washer fluid hose came loose, put it back together, that was ok. The dirver side door arm rest/handle is broken on the underside, not sure what to do with that. The XM radio does not go to the high channels (200-300 range) but otherwise sounds better than my home stereo.

The real bother for me is that the thing has a bad sway, I wouldn't call it a roll. It feels like the back sways which cause the front to want to over steer. It takes alot of concentration when traveling the three hours up North to our cabin. Getting a little more use to it but the vehicle just should be doing that.

I might catch some flack for this opinion, But welcome to the tahoe wheelbase/steering radius. They are "twitchy" as hell and driving them at speed requires constant steering input, they do allow you to make a u turn on a one lane road but it comes at the cost of straight line stability. This opinion is based upon our 03 tahoe which never failed us mechanically but was a chore to drive on roadtrips, our 08 denali xl 131,000 miles is so much more stable on the highway and while towing but your not flipping a u turn like the old tahoe.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The volt meter moves from 12 to 15 on different days, not sure what that means.

It’s a “feature” designed into this generation of trucks to limit charging under certain conditions perhaps to eek out that last little bit of fuel economy. There’s a sensor that surrounds the negative battery cable with a plug on it leading to the ECM. You can disable it by disconnecting the plug and it will charge all the time.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might catch some flack for this opinion, But welcome to the tahoe wheelbase/steering radius. They are "twitchy" as hell and driving them at speed requires constant steering input, they do allow you to make a u turn on a one lane road but it comes at the cost of straight line stability. This opinion is based upon our 03 tahoe which never failed us mechanically but was a chore to drive on roadtrips, our 08 denali xl 131,000 miles is so much more stable on the highway and while towing but your not flipping a u turn like the old tahoe.

My Tahoe tracks straighter than any vehicle I've owned since 1989.

I think the problem with an overly twitchy/swaying ride is usually due to failed swaybar end links or shocks.

Just one man's opinion.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a chance and ordered two "Dorman" heater hose "T's" off ebay, Part # 800-413 and 800-414 and paid about $31 for the pair. When i got them "made in china" stamped proudly on the box, somthing just didnt feel right. Ordered GM oem part # 15055342 and 15055343 from rock auto for about $48 and compared them to the Dorman product, BIG difference in wall thickness, color and texture of plastic and injection mold differences. Ill stick to OEM as much as possible! anyone want the Dorman T's for free? I did take another chance and ordered a TECH2 knockoff from china that is being shipped currently, I hope for good results for only $275 from aliexpress. It is hard to say no to saving money but most of the time we get what we pay for, It is such a great feeling to save money, Have it go right and prove the nay sayers wrong but it isnt without risk.

Dorman is a good brand in general, but I know firsthand that their Heater Core T-Connectors are junk. Don't install them unless you want to replace them within a year with OEM.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You've got some work to do on that rig. A phone call to Sirius should fix the station problem. New door panel or the pvc pipe fix. Then check the tires and steering gear and suspension to eliminate the wandering.

The alternator works like a smart charger to extend the life of the battery and charging system and squeak out more gas mileage. Look up RVC, Regulated Voltage Control and EPM, Electric Power Management.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne