What did you do to your OBS GMT400 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a definitive brake upgrade guide?

I see Lots of different information with the only real agreed upon thing being a hydroboost upgrade. Or swap everything out which appears to be more $ than I am thinking about spending on this little RCSB with a 4.3tbi in the near future.

I hate to replace something with the exact same oem part if for a little more money or work I could have a better performing system.

I'm reading about a lot of guys deleting the rw abs on the early trucks. Mine is a 94.

I skimmed the 20 pages nbs mc upgrade thread and that has mixed reviews. Nak says prop valve and rear drum upgrade to 11" is a good idea?

Last edited:

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a definitive brake upgrade guide?

I see Lots of different information with the only real agreed upon thing being a hydroboost upgrade. Or swap everything out which appears to be more $ than I am thinking about spending on this little RCSB with a 4.3tbi in the near future.

I hate to replace something with the exact same oem part if for a little more money or work I could have a better performing system.

I'm reading about a lot of guys deleting the rw abs on the early trucks. Mine is a 94.

I skimmed the 20 pages nbs mc upgrade thread and that has mixed reviews. Nak says prop valve and rear drum upgrade to 11" is a good idea?
I did the hydroboost, didnt swap anything else. Sucker stops hard and the pedal feels great. It was a pain in the ass but if you can pull it off yourself you will be happy with it.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaned up battery cable connections and replaced the ****** dorman positive side bolt with a rockford which tightened down nicely.

Cleaned up the earths on the thermostat housing and one I saw under the dash.

Finally tightened down my pitman arm on the shaft fully as I didn't have the right size wrench when I put the steering gear and arm in. (I used a 1" 5/16, but think 1" 1/4 was probably the right size.)

Cleaned the excess grease from my shiny new steering linkage parts while I was under there.

Lubed my steering shaft where it goes through the firewall rubber bit, and put a little grease at the top of the plastic rag joint cover as the shaft was rubbing in both places.

Spent 10 mins under the dash looking for what could be the cause of my electrical gremlins. (Alarm install is a bit shoddy, yellow alarm wire loosely wrapped around an oem white with the insulation cut away and wrapped with a bit of black tape that was falling off.)

Taking a look at the rear brakes tomorrow. My pedal is extra awful right now.

PS.
Always seems that any time I improve voltage, ie new battery, charged battery, or today cleaning up corrosion on battery cables and grounds etc there is a noticeable improvement in performance. I've never owned a vehicle that is so sensitive in that way. Or perhaps there's something weak in my electrical system? Most of it is original.

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleaned up battery cable connections and replaced the ****** dorman positive side bolt with a rockford which tightened down nicely.

Cleaned up the earths on the thermostat housing and one I saw under the dash.

Finally tightened down my pitman arm on the shaft fully as I didn't have the right size wrench when I put the steering gear and arm in. (I used a 1" 5/16, but think 1" 1/4 was probably the right size.)

Cleaned the excess grease from my shiny new steering linkage parts while I was under there.

Lubed my steering shaft where it goes through the firewall rubber bit, and put a little grease at the top of the plastic rag joint cover as the shaft was rubbing in both places.

Spent 10 mins under the dash looking for what could be the cause of my electrical gremlins. (Alarm install is a bit shoddy, yellow alarm wire loosely wrapped around an oem white with the insulation cut away and wrapped with a bit of black tape that was falling off.)

Taking a look at the rear brakes tomorrow. My pedal is extra awful right now.

PS.
Always seems that any time I improve voltage, ie new battery, charged battery, or today cleaning up corrosion on battery cables and grounds etc there is a noticeable improvement in performance. I've never owned a vehicle that is so sensitive in that way. Or perhaps there's something weak in my electrical system? Most of it is original.

I know you said you cleaned up grounds but I would seriously consider going over every single one again and replacing the neg from battery, motor to firewall, etc. gm does stupid stuff with their grounds.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, but they are so clean already. There is so little corrosion on this S Cal truck. Here's a pic of the two earth straps on the passender side frame rail. I thought they were corroded and cleaned them up a little, but it was just surface. I wiped them with some dilectric grease on a rag and they looked like this.
IMG_9286.JPG

Battery cables and ground
IMG_9287.JPG

I'm from the UK where any vehicle that's over about 5 years old is a rust bucket. My truck still amazes me almost every time I get under it.

I've wanted to do the 'big 3' but it just doesn't seem necessary.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled it out of grandpas garage. Added coolant, swapped a battery, and drove it home.

Ordered a bunch of stuff from rockauto. New rad hoses, wiper blades, and belt.

Need to clean out the blower fan. Sounds like some junk is in there. Hopefully not a mouse nest...

20190216_121406_HDR.jpg 20190217_100649_HDR.jpg 20190217_100654_HDR.jpg 20190217_100708.jpg 20190217_101328.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645