What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I keep trying to tell everybody but nobody listens. :oops::(

I actually "checked" it before i started.
Felt tight, but i also had the plastic intake tube on.

With the whole intake off, it was obvious.
I already had the water pump and crap off, I'm finishing this pig!

And I got the other head off, everything looks pretty good
#4 has some polishing in the cylinder, maybe it was just the light but it looked funky.
but I'm just going to rock it as is.

No signs of oil burning.

I also noticed little crosses on the pistons.
Maybe they had a priest bless the AFM system? :D

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One head pulled, the driver side.

found a broken/missing bolt on the rear exhaust.

I also assumed i had cast iron heads, they looked like cast iron until i got the intake off, I found shiny aluminum!

I'm going to need to deal with that bolt later... :thumbsdown:

neat thing is i never noticed any hint of an exhaust leak or tick.

My floor in the garage is also very slick, it's making things a pita...
:lewx4:

back to work.
AFM delete?

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Yes, project AFM Delete!

And the harmonic balancer is off!
Cheapie amazon special puller.
Might have been a one time use. :rolleyes:
bent one of the pusher rods... lol

I did use an impact, i could not imagine using a wrench... holly f that thing was on there..
the retaining bolt required the use of my super powered impact, Aircat Nitro Cat!

Just kept coming out, I had to switch to a longer pusher rod to get it to pop free.
I'm not looking forward to getting this thing back on.

Next step: get the hoe on jack stands!

calling it for tonight.
I'm sure i'll be too sore to do much tomorrow... :rolleyes:

no real hurry, did confirm my new head gaskets appear to match up, so w00t.

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
That's incredible, any major repairs yet?
Its on its 3rd 4L60e and second engine.

However, its mainly operator error and not the fault of the vehicle (mostly).

First trans snapped a band and PO rebuilt the whole thing instead of repairing what was broke.

First engine ate an AFM lifter at 222,000, so I had the whole engine replaced instead of just doing an AFM delete. (Texas Speed cam is awesome)

I found out however that the shop that replaced engine didnt top of the ATF when they put a new radiator in, so the atf was low. And that took out the rebuilt trans.

My fault for not checking it.

PO was my grandad though, so I’m not going to be getting rid of this thing. Its got a fresh engine and transmission now, it runs great, And everything else on this vehicle is in great shape. I’m looking at doing a Z55 delete and installing some King coilovers in the front along with Z06 vette bakes next year. Smiles per gallon because it sure as hell doesnt have miles per gallon

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, project AFM Delete!

And the harmonic balancer is off!
Cheapie amazon special puller.
Might have been a one time use. :rolleyes:
bent one of the pusher rods... lol

I did use an impact, i could not imagine using a wrench... holly f that thing was on there..
the retaining bolt required the use of my super powered impact, Aircat Nitro Cat!

Just kept coming out, I had to switch to a longer pusher rod to get it to pop free.
I'm not looking forward to getting this thing back on.

Next step: get the hoe on jack stands!

calling it for tonight.
I'm sure i'll be too sore to do much tomorrow... :rolleyes:

no real hurry, did confirm my new head gaskets appear to match up, so w00t.
I used a Chrysler balancer puller and used it to push against the balancer bolt, just grind down the head so it fits through the puller. The old bolt can’t be reused anyway, and that way you can unscrew the bolt a bit if needed and run down the puller again if it runs out of threads. So pull the old balancer bolt, grind the outside of the head a bit, reinstall it finger tight,and screw the Chrysler tool’s bolt down against it and use it to push against if that makes sense. The Chrysler pullers jaws fit into the 3 slots on the backside of the balancer perfect. I used a crappy impact and it came off easy. To reinstall, I suggest the ARP balancer bolt. It’s reusable and you don’t have to TTY. Get the locking tool for the flywheel- pull the starter out of the way, install the tool ( it’s about $15) and the engine can’t turn over as you torque the bolt to 250 ft lbs or whatever ridiculous torque is called for.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I used a Chrysler balancer puller and used it to push against the balancer bolt, just grind down the head so it fits through the puller. The old bolt can’t be reused anyway, and that way you can unscrew the bolt a bit if needed and run down the puller again if it runs out of threads. So pull the old balancer bolt, grind the outside of the head a bit, reinstall it finger tight,and screw the Chrysler tool’s bolt down against it and use it to push against if that makes sense. The Chrysler pullers jaws fit into the 3 slots on the backside of the balancer perfect. I used a crappy impact and it came off easy. To reinstall, I suggest the ARP balancer bolt. It’s reusable and you don’t have to TTY. Get the locking tool for the flywheel- pull the starter out of the way, install the tool ( it’s about $15) and the engine can’t turn over as you torque the bolt to 250 ft lbs or whatever ridiculous torque is called for.

Yeah i bought the little flywheel holder tool.

The whole super torque and then what ever degrees is weird...
I'll think about the ARP bolt.
I have a new OEM one on hand...

I ran all ARP on my 1st gen sbc vette build, i had issues with the head bolts.
The second reuse and they were good from there.
Having to retorque them after a week was stupid.
Headers and it required me to pull my rockers and re-adjust.

After that i like the idea of torque to yield. :hahano:

My one "super" impact can do something like 1200ft lbs...
I found that even on the lowest setting, it's too much to put on wheel lugs.
:jester:

it sits in a shrine in my tool box, only to be used to remove bolts.
:head3:

Looks tempting for the balancer bolt though...

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
And i'm sore today.
My stupid step stool that i used to get a good angle to work on the engine likes to slip around on me.
Making it very difficult.
Right when i think i have it, the stool slips and my chest and stomach will slam into the truck. :rolleyes:

Today it feels like i got hit with a bat a few times.

:anitoof:

i have some skateboard tape, been thinking it might help if i stick it to the bottom of that pos step stool.
Planning on cleaning up the block a bit before i put the hoe on jack stands.
Figure it makes more sense to get the crud off of the top before i take apart the bottom...

Excedrin is working,
Motivation pending.

:birgits_tiredcoffee:birgits_tiredcoffee:birgits_tiredcoffee:birgits_tiredcoffee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269