What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the rear wheel bearings and seals on both sides even though one seal was bad. I figured it was time at 315 k. One of the bearings exploded while I was using the slide hammer it was a little tricky to get out after that. That same side had some pitting axle shaft. Nobody around me had replacement shafts available so I used it anyways. There is no abnormal bearing hum before or after. Airbag bag light came on last week and replaced sensor number two on the passenger side I can see why it was malfunctioning, LOL. It's nice driving an old truck like these without having any warning lights on in the dashboard.

Attachments

• 20221023_132649.jpg
    20221023_132649.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221023_120739.jpg
    20221023_120739.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221023_125444.jpg
    20221023_125444.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221023_110026.jpg
    20221023_110026.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 7

YukonBrian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Drove out to Port Orchard on Friday to pick up some replacement seats from the junkyard. I found a 2002 sierra crew cab slt through car-part.com that had an interior with some life left in it.

The front and rears from the pickup are able to bolt into my yukon, but there are some significant differences. The 60/40 middle bench is different in that the back is not large enough to cover the 3rd row footwell and the smaller half seat does not slide foward on a track like the ones from the yukon do. But, both seat halves do fold down just the same.

The more significant difference for me is that the front sierra seats do not have side airbags built into them. My 2000 does have the airbags, so I've ordered some 2.2ohm resistors off amazon to hopefully keep the airbag light off.

My seats aren't in the worst shape, but the dirt is fairly caked in with a nice sheen over top of it. But, the front passenger seat is structurally loose and bounces around a lot and the drivers side has a broken armrest, so I'm mostly trying to address those problems.

original yukon middle bench

I spent Saturday cleaning up the middle bench and installed it this morning, though I don't have a picture just yet. Still waiting on the resistors to arrive before I can test out and possibly install the front seats. I have the fronts all polished up and ready to go in if so.

cleaned up sierra rear bench
The seats were $250 each at Kitsap Truck and Auto, which I think was a reasonable deal. So, check them out if you're in the area and need parts, lots of gmt-800 stuff in their yard.

fresh junkyard front seatsafter a bit of elbow grease

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove out to Port Orchard on Friday to pick up some replacement seats from the junkyard. I found a 2002 sierra crew cab slt through car-part.com that had an interior with some life left in it.

The front and rears from the pickup are able to bolt into my yukon, but there are some significant differences. The 60/40 middle bench is different in that the back is not large enough to cover the 3rd row footwell and the smaller half seat does not slide foward on a track like the ones from the yukon do. But, both seat halves do fold down just the same.

The more significant difference for me is that the front sierra seats do not have side airbags built into them. My 2000 does have the airbags, so I've ordered some 2.2ohm resistors off amazon to hopefully keep the airbag light off.

My seats aren't in the worst shape, but the dirt is fairly caked in with a nice sheen over top of it. But, the front passenger seat is structurally loose and bounces around a lot and the drivers side has a broken armrest, so I'm mostly trying to address those problems.

View attachment 383602

I spent Saturday cleaning up the middle bench and installed it this morning, though I don't have a picture just yet. Still waiting on the resistors to arrive before I can test out and possibly install the front seats. I have the fronts all polished up and ready to go in if so.

View attachment 383603
The seats were $250 each at Kitsap Truck and Auto, which I think was a reasonable deal. So, check them out if you're in the area and need parts, lots of gmt-800 stuff in their yard.

View attachment 383604View attachment 383605

$250 each, so $1,000? Plus the drive, fuel, etc. Did you happen to price new covers, like from Katskin or Roadwire? It's been years since I was in the trade, but a whole leather kit for a 4-door car (including door panel and arm rest pieces) was around $1,000. I'm sure it's gone up now, though.

YukonBrian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
$250 each, so $1,000? Plus the drive, fuel, etc. Did you happen to price new covers, like from Katskin or Roadwire? It's been years since I was in the trade, but a whole leather kit for a 4-door car (including door panel and arm rest pieces) was around $1,000. I'm sure it's gone up now, though.
I was counting the rear bench as one, so $750 total. I’m not sure all of the steps of katzkinz but think the base price is $1k for the covers, before you get into addons to restore factory features like heating elements and then the actual work to actually replace the covers.

Regardless, my seats were broken and needed replaced, so new covers wouldn’t have completed the job on their own. Though, I’ll probably redo driver side lower seat portion and call the rest good enough.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was counting the rear bench as one, so $750 total. I’m not sure all of the steps of katzkinz but think the base price is $1k for the covers, before you get into addons to restore factory features like heating elements and then the actual work to actually replace the covers.

Regardless, my seats were broken and needed replaced, so new covers wouldn’t have completed the job on their own. Though, I’ll probably redo driver side lower seat portion and call the rest good enough.

I'm trackin now. And you upgraded the color- they'll show less dirt!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I’m just sitting outside and once again I’m left wondering why there’s a rise in the body line in the area of the c pillar, at the bottom of the rear door and quarter panel glass. Also wondering if anybody else ever wonders why. Also wondering if anybody here knows why. It’s just always seemed off to me, like it’s not there for looks because imo it would look better if all 3 pieces of glass on the side lined up across the bottom in a straight line. So maybe there’s some structural reason. View attachment 382694
Sex appeal. Part of why the 800s just look the best.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friday evening I replaced my power brake booster. If it hadn't been for having to lay underneath the dash and remove/install 4 of the hardest to reach nuts I've ever seen, it would've been a 30 minute project. Instead, it took 2 hours. Still glad I did it myself since I paid $341 for the part from Amazon, versus $750 at the dealer plus whatever labor they would've charged me.

Sadly, there's no perceived difference in braking performance, but at least I'm not leaking PS fluid anymore.

Before:

Before.jpg

After (I re-routed the soft line behind the hard line after I took this picture):
After.jpg

The old part after removal:
After2.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friday evening I replaced my power brake booster. If it hadn't been for having to lay underneath the dash and remove/install 4 of the hardest to reach nuts I've ever seen, it would've been a 30 minute project. Instead, it took 2 hours. Still glad I did it myself since I paid $341 for the part from Amazon, versus $750 at the dealer plus whatever labor they would've charged me.

Sadly, there's no perceived difference in braking performance, but at least I'm not leaking PS fluid anymore.

Before:

View attachment 383661

After (I re-routed the soft line behind the hard line after I took this picture):
View attachment 383662

The old part after removal:
View attachment 383663
I’ve been wanting to replace my brake fluid reservoir ever since I did the same to the coolant overflow reservoir because it was so stained. I need to research if I’ll need to bleed the brakes though. Any idea if I will? I take it you didn’t need to when doing the booster?

Edit: I see the service manual states to remove the MC and then replace the reservoir in which case the entire system would need to be bled. I’m wondering if there’s a way to do it without but probably not lol.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz