What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got tired of having to pull out a drop light I figured I would just ditch The original one and reroute wiring to These LEDs… Then the interior cargo area wasn’t bright enough either so tapped into the back cargo light so they come on when doors open.
View attachment 361947View attachment 361948View attachment 361949View attachment 361950
Awesome!!! What a major improvement over stock lighting! As soon as I have an opportunity, I hope to get that upgrade done. Recently, I have had to deal with basic things like brakes...

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever see Groundhog Day with Bill Murray? That was my weekend!

You may recall the issue I had with new brakes in the rear... Rotor on rear driver's side was glowing red and smoking at one point. I thought maybe the caliper stuck. Forced ABS activation a few times on the snowy roads. It stopped glowing, but was still getting extremely hot. I had to get to work in the morning, so I just hoped I might burn enough off the new pads to stop the overheat and get me to work and back. I did make it back OK. No fires!

Last night, I pulled the driver's side rear apart. Made sure the caliper bracket was clean and re-seated the shims. Pulled the caliper pins and re-cleaned/re-greased those. I exercised the pistons independently by clamping one and activating the other, then flip-flopping between working the two.

The biggest problem seemed to be the clearance between the pads and the shims. I filed the ends of the metal backing plates on the pads for more clearance with the guide on the bracket. Seems to have solved the problem. Not hot, no smoke, brakes good. Doesn't feel like an anchor is being dragged behind me anymore.

Amazingly, the rotor and pads managed to come out of it all just fine. No damage or warpage. If they were organic pads, I think I would have had the truck go up in flames.

Sorry! No pictures... I was in a rush to fix. It was 15F last night.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got tired of having to pull out a drop light I figured I would just ditch The original one and reroute wiring to These LEDs… Then the interior cargo area wasn’t bright enough either so tapped into the back cargo light so they come on when doors open.
View attachment 361947View attachment 361948View attachment 361949View attachment 361950
What lights did you use for that, were they the puck style? Maybe post a link if you have it. I had done my under hood with LED strips all the way around. And also used them under my doors so when I open my doors they light up the ground, like puddle lights but way more. The ones under my hood had a hard time staying glued on due to it slamming in a downward motion. Eventually I removed those. The ones on the bottoms of my doors are still attached and working after several years.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What lights did you use for that, were they the puck style? Maybe post a link if you have it. I had done my under hood with LED strips all the way around. And also used them under my doors so when I open my doors they light up the ground, like puddle lights but way more. The ones under my hood had a hard time staying glued on due to it slamming in a downward motion. Eventually I removed those. The ones on the bottoms of my doors are still attached and working after several years.
Could apply silicone sealer in spots or applied to the back of the strip... Heat resistant, flexible, amazingly strong hold on things, but still not permanent if you change your mind. That might be an option, if you don't want to redo the whole setup you have in place.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could apply silicone sealer in spots or applied to the back of the strip... Heat resistant, flexible, amazingly strong hold on things, but still not permanent if you change your mind. That might be an option, if you don't want to redo the whole setup you have in place.
Yeah I did that a few times in the places that the original high strength peel and stick failed. I cleaned with alcohol, and final wipe with a clean dry cloth. It became a constant issue and I decided it wasn’t worth it. Silicone started failing too. Seemed to not be so amazingly strong after all.

MADPINTO08

Reaction score
AutoZone has the style lights and I basically whatever I mount a damn scratched it up with some 80 grit sandpaper right underneath and use the tape that came with and also some crazy glue and I have no problem at allDFDFF18D-3717-4675-B7FC-A7F1E9EDE9FF.jpeg

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I did that a few times in the places that the original high strength peel and stick failed. I cleaned with alcohol, and final wipe with a clean dry cloth. It became a constant issue and I decided it wasn’t worth it. Silicone started failing too. Seemed to not be so amazingly strong after all.
I used GE silicone to hold a wood panel on the back of our kitchen stove, where it stuck up above the counter top. Couple globs on the back held it for ten years. We sold the stove and removed the wood trim piece. The silicone is still on the stove, along with bits of wood it tore from the back of the board.

But, I get it if what you had wasn't working out for you... I like the lights @MADPINTO08 used! Lights everything up like daylight!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used GE silicone to hold a wood panel on the back of our kitchen stove, where it stuck up above the counter top. Couple globs on the back held it for ten years. We sold the stove and removed the wood trim piece. The silicone is still on the stove, along with bits of wood it tore from the back of the board.

But, I get it if what you had wasn't working out for you... I like the lights @MADPINTO08 used! Lights everything up like daylight!
That’s different than gluing two smooth surfaces, especially if one is painted. Plus the hood slamming closed a few hundred times shakes it loose. I’m familiar with silicones, I used them in the glass trade all my life. There are structural versions but they require a primer and there’s a list of different ones to use on different materials along with the different primers. And they’re only commercially available. I just wasn’t really into the underhood lights so much that I wanted to put that much effort into them. I figured I’d get something that I can use a mechanical fastener on. I never got around to it.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper