What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spied this at the salvage yard today while liberating a door handle.

Disclaimer: "Not my rig, not my work."

It did however inspire me to be proactive in the not to distant future AND fabricate an access plate to this area of the gas tank AND make it look factory. Because, well, ........ fuel pump. :D
It looks more than a kind of weird steam punk art than like work ... :gr_grin:

Roilux

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tiny leprechaun tapping at the far end of the steering shaft has been banished. I replaced the upper and lower steering shafts today along with the steering shaft column bearing.

About 5k miles ago I replaced front and rear suspension components and all steering components south of the steering box in search of 'like new' handling.
A tapping sensation remained in the steering wheel that was very slight and sometimes unnoticeable. The 'taps' are now gone and at 168k the steering wheel has very very little play. No plans to adjust the lash in the gearbox, for now.

As was suggested in another thread, the gas pedal assembly was unbolted and set aside before going after the steering shaft bearing. Two extensions and a 10mm socket at the end of a swivel made wrangling the assembly manageable. From what I've read I was fortunate, the bearing came out without a fight. It took more effort to get the new one installed than it did removing the old one.

With no busted knuckles and only one small cut, I am pleased.

There's more to do with the beast as I go bumper to bumper. In the morning my body will tell me how adventurous to be. :D

Attachments

• leprechaun2.jpg
    leprechaun2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 0

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tiny leprechaun tapping at the far end of the steering shaft has been banished. I replaced the upper and lower steering shafts today along with the steering shaft column bearing.

About 5k miles ago I replaced front and rear suspension components and all steering components south of the steering box in search of 'like new' handling.
A tapping sensation remained in the steering wheel that was very slight and sometimes unnoticeable. The 'taps' are now gone and at 168k the steering wheel has very very little play. No plans to adjust the lash in the gearbox, for now.

As was suggested in another thread, the gas pedal assembly was unbolted and set aside before going after the steering shaft bearing. Two extensions and a 10mm socket at the end of a swivel made wrangling the assembly manageable. From what I've read I was fortunate, the bearing came out without a fight. It took more effort to get the new one installed than it did removing the old one.

With no busted knuckles and only one small cut, I am pleased.

There's more to do with the beast as I go bumper to bumper. In the morning my body will tell me how adventurous to be. :D
Hope you went OEM on the bearing or you'll be back in there soon. Do you have adjustable pedals? Those were a PITA to get that one nut back on for me. And I went Dorman first despite being warned. Didn't even last a week.

dps01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read the horror stories regarding the bearing as well…
Paid about 2X for the OEM bearing that’s in a box… waiting to be installed..

Trying to decide if I should do the hydro boost mod…. Would do both at the same time.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sprayed my rocker panels with the rust stop from Rustoleum. Let dry then Duplicolor to match. Going to get a price to have all that repaired this year. But you can hardly see it!
Please report back with the shop you like, and/or the estimate. I have a truck I might fix yet. And thank you!

project_x

Reaction score
Spied this at the salvage yard today while liberating a door handle.

Disclaimer: "Not my rig, not my work."

It did however inspire me to be proactive in the not to distant future AND fabricate an access plate to this area of the gas tank AND make it look factory. Because, well, ........ fuel pump. :D
Please do a thread when you do. That sounds like a great idea

Roilux

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope you went OEM on the bearing or you'll be back in there soon. Do you have adjustable pedals? Those were a PITA to get that one nut back on for me. And I went Dorman first despite being warned. Didn't even last a week.
Yezzir, a pricey OEM bearing resides there now. :( The bearing I took out wasn't OEM nor was the upper shaft. I didn't have the dreaded clunk, just that damned Leprechaun tapping.

Yes on the adjustable pedals. I taped a nut to the socket and did one wrap with blue tape to stiffen the swivel's knuckle until threads caught with the top nut. No tussle at all.

The only Dorman product on the beast is a passenger side axillary battery tray. ::thumbsup::

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo