What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keviebear86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the front and intermediate emergency brake cables, Dorman cabin filter retrofit kit, rear evaporator core, ACS rear AC lines, and I'm trying to find replacement bushings for the steering stabilizer I bought from Rough Country because in less than 6 months they are falling off already. Hoping for a weekend where I can clear the garage out, crank some Pantera, and get to work.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this a while back and the new bulbs partially melted the backs of the buttons. I had to disassemble the unit again and break off the melted parts so the switches wouldn’t stick to the bulbs. Wish I’d done a led swap that looked like natural incandescent light, maybe I’ll do that next time they burn out. The new bulbs get extremely hot as well. I was kind of disappointed.
I did the switches of the steering wheel once with LEDs, but that was absolutely nothing I liked because the light color was quite different to the other lamps and the dimming was totally different, so I changed that back to bulbs again. I have my light mostly dimed darker so I don't think I get a heat problem.
Are you sure that you soldered the bulbs right to the board, at not to close to the switches?

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the switches of the steering wheel once with LEDs, but that was absolutely nothing I liked because the light color was quite different to the other lamps and the dimming was totally different, so I changed that back to bulbs again. I have my light mostly dimed darker so I don't think I get a heat problem.
Are you sure that you soldered the bulbs right to the board, at not to close to the switches?
Thank you for the feedback on the LEDs. I suppose it's possible I did not fully seat the bulbs, but from memory (this was about a year and a half ago) I believe I did... Either way, it's working fine now, and I usually keep the cluster dimmer about 50% to minimize the heat and hopefully maximize the life span of the bulbs. I need to replace the backlighting in my rear A/C control fore of the sunroof opening. Maybe I'll try to find some workable "warm" LEDs for that project.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used these on my radio. They are cheap and so far working good. Some of the rubber caps tore so the color is off a bit. They do come in colors but I used clear ones.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's how mine look.. Difficult to make a photo without shaking with so few light....

First with interior light on and the other with interior light off....

Attachments

• 20230615_231709.JPG
    20230615_231709.JPG
    243.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230615_231619.JPG
    20230615_231619.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230615_231500.JPG
    20230615_231500.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 6

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be ready for first crank tomorrow with new engine. All that's left is starter, fluids, connect injector harness, harmonic balancer and drive belts. Probably going to double check all twice over before cranking it.

BEEN A long 6+ weeks since I parked it and yanked it out!

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be ready for first crank tomorrow with new engine. All that's left is starter, fluids, connect injector harness, harmonic balancer and drive belts. Probably going to double check all twice over before cranking it.

BEEN A long 6+ weeks since I parked it and yanked it out!
Good luck... I guess before you first start the engine, you let it crank first without fuel pump relais, to make sure that oil is everywhere where it should be?

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed out the front DRL (4114), front turn signal (4157A), and front side marker lights (194) to the Sylvania ZEVO LED on my 2001 Tahoe. Installed an EP29 flasher to get rid of the hyper flash while I was at it too.

Everything works correctly but when my headlights and parking lights are off and I turn my turn signal on only the 4157 bulb is flashing, not the side marker 194. The 194 isn’t illuminating at all. The 4157 front flasher and side 194 bulb do flash interchangeably when the parking lights or headlights are on. I put in the stock flasher to see if maybe that was the issue and noticed the 194 side bulb doesn’t turn on or blink if the parking lights or head lights are off. So maybe I’m remembering wrong but I thought both the front turn signal and side marker light blink together during the day when parking lights and headlights are off and at night they blink opposite of each other when the running lights / headlights are on? Hope that makes sense, I can post a video tomorrow if need be.

Just need some clarification if I’m remembering wrong or if I have a bad fuse or something?

Last edited:

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured this out. The Sylvania ZEVO 194 led bulbs are polarity sensitive. That’s why they worked in every case but during the day when the turn signal is on.

I returned them and have non-polarity led bulbs coming tomorrow. That should fix the issue.

I stumbled on this thread and it helped me diagnose the weird issue I was having. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...er-lights-and-turn-signal-led-upgrades.90947/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10