What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I am with these guys. My guess is that the side or spider gears are damaged. The good thing is, I don’t see G80 on the RPO which means that parts are not too expensive if the ring, pinion and bearings are ok. Time to pull the cover.
I wonder if it'll be cheaper to fix it or replace it totally.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I wonder if it'll be cheaper to fix it or replace it totally.
That depends on whats wrong. If you replace it yo will want to swap your brakes over. Hopefully you get one with good backing plates for the brakes or the axle shafts need to come out.

I would take the cover off and inspect after confirming the fill plug comes out.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That depends on whats wrong. If you replace it yo will want to swap your brakes over. Hopefully you get one with good backing plates for the brakes or the axle shafts need to come out.

I would take the cover off and inspect after confirming the fill plug comes out.
Dorman makes two-piece backing plates that don’t require the axles to be removed in order to replace them. It’s one of the few parts made by them I actually recommend.

Walchit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they're not Castech 862 heads. I think one on my van is cracked. Got a pic of the logo on them? Castech logo looks like a battery.

Unless I'm blind neither set I have are castech. I am willing to bet the 706 heads in the truck are, because I've seen a little moisture on the inside of the oil cap. Idk if that indicates castech problems for sure though.
I will take some pics of the heads here in a minute

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless I'm blind neither set I have are castech. I am willing to bet the 706 heads in the truck are, because I've seen a little moisture on the inside of the oil cap. Idk if that indicates castech problems for sure though.
I will take some pics of the heads here in a minute

If it's a little moisture, it could just be normal condensation.

Walchit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna have to flip that driver side cover over. If it has the circle hole in the baffle, it's the older style. You're looking for a square hole.
Geez! Guess I'm still looking for a valve cover then, lol
@Tonyrodz no castech that I can see on these

Attachments

• 20220407_110635.jpg
    20220407_110635.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220407_110654.jpg
    20220407_110654.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 9

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez! Guess I'm still looking for a valve cover then, lol
@Tonyrodz no castech that I can see on these

Well, dammit.

You gonna do any work to them heads? They're actually a bit of an underdog and just need some mild porting and maybe some stock intake valves from the 799/243 heads. Good for low- to mid-range torque.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo