What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having some weird issue with the trans not going into drive occasionally. Seems like it may happen mostly first thing in the morning when cold?

I've replaced the shifter cable before and that looks solid.

Shifts fine. Works normal more often then not.

Always seems to be an issue when it's just the wife and kids and I am at work of course tho I have noticed it once. Putting it back in park and then in D seems to get it working. Maybe shifter cable again?

Fluid is clean. Have not pan dropped and replaced filter in nearly 100k so I'm sure that's due.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read the "split lengthwise" part this morning and just noticed in the info box it says "slip-on". Technically, it's still correct.

From description: "Summit Racing™ wire wraps are made of heat-retardant, woven polymer material split lengthwise for easy installation. These flexible wraps spring closed around your wire bundles for a snug fit without ties or tape..."
My bad. I didn’t read the entire description.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having some weird issue with the trans not going into drive occasionally. Seems like it may happen mostly first thing in the morning when cold?

I've replaced the shifter cable before and that looks solid.

Shifts fine. Works normal more often then not.

Always seems to be an issue when it's just the wife and kids and I am at work of course tho I have noticed it once. Putting it back in park and then in D seems to get it working. Maybe shifter cable again?

Fluid is clean. Have not pan dropped and replaced filter in nearly 100k so I'm sure that's due.
You could disconnect the cable at the trans and see if it’s binding by working the shift lever.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I last changed my transmission fluid around 200k miles, and since then I've had a recurring occasional slip from a dead stop, as well as an occasional hesitation when downshifting to pass on the highway. After doing some reading, it seems the symptoms may be traced back to my using Dexron 6, when the vehicle calls for Dexron 3. Dexron 6 is supposedly backwards compatible, but after doing some research it seems the viscosity rating is lower for Dexron 6, meaning the fluid is thinner, which can apparently mess with fluid pressure in higher mileage transmissions.

Today I changed the fluid back to Dexron 3, and will drive it for a while to see if it solves my slip/hesitation issue.

FYI, after driving for the last couple of weeks, this hasn't changed the behavior of my transmission, sadly.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, after driving for the last couple of weeks, this hasn't changed the behavior of my transmission, sadly.
I heard Dex6 is actually better for older transmissions, depends on where you read the info. I didn’t think it was going to help you but we can always hope, right? Consensus does seem to be that 150k is about average for the life of a 4l60 though so I’d say you got your money’s worth out of that one. Mine went at about 140k but that was also right after I installed a supercharger so I’m sure that hurried it along.