What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discovered cracked Castech heads right at the start of the COVID lockdown (mid March). Ordered a pair of refurbs from a place in CA that got good reviews. One was a castech, the other not. Took my sweet time installing, some weeks I wouldn't even work on it. Buttoned back up mid June and drove less than 500 miles by mid July. Noticed coolant level still lowering...not good. Emptied new catch can - milkshake. Pulled valve covers - milkshake.

Depressed and dejected, I let her sit until this week. I didn't know at that point if I did something wrong installing or got bum parts or both.

Got some coolant dye for Dex and circulated it. Pulled the valve covers again and cleaned up the heads so no dye was visible. Pressurized the system and waited. Found a crack in the Castech refurb in the same damned spot as the original head. Very strange. Waiting on response from vendor about warranty replacement. Sucks, but I'm still not in a hurry.

You can see the crack under the blue bubbles.

IMG_20200813_074914_50.jpg

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Discovered cracked Castech heads right at the start of the COVID lockdown (mid March). Ordered a pair of refurbs from a place in CA that got good reviews. One was a castech, the other not. Took my sweet time installing, some weeks I wouldn't even work on it. Buttoned back up mid June and drove less than 500 miles by mid July. Noticed coolant level still lowering...not good. Emptied new catch can - milkshake. Pulled valve covers - milkshake.

Depressed and dejected, I let her sit until this week. I didn't know at that point if I did something wrong installing or got bum parts or both.

Got some coolant dye for Dex and circulated it. Pulled the valve covers again and cleaned up the heads so no dye was visible. Pressurized the system and waited. Found a crack in the Castech refurb in the same damned spot as the original head. Very strange. Waiting on response from vendor about warranty replacement. Sucks, but I'm still not in a hurry.

You can see the crack under the blue bubbles.

View attachment 254782
Do not like. Sounds like the seller is just taking advantage. How do you sell a cracked head as a replacement for a cracked head..?!? Bastards.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not like. Sounds like the seller is just taking advantage. How do you sell a cracked head as a replacement for a cracked head..?!? Bastards.

That's the kicker. Their site is very specific about using a Sunnen pressure tester to make sure no bad ones go out. I'm kicking myself for not inspecting them super closely before installing....because now I don't know if it was already cracked (presumably) or developed in less than 500 miles (unlikely).

Keviebear86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was finally able to install and set up my Stinger Heigh10 head unit. Once I get the time and motivation to install the amps speakers and build a box for my sub I'll post more updates. Anyone else doing anything for HD audio in their NBS?

20200813_122013.jpg 20200813_121934.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
That's the kicker. Their site is very specific about using a Sunnen pressure tester to make sure no bad ones go out. I'm kicking myself for not inspecting them super closely before installing....because now I don't know if it was already cracked (presumably) or developed in less than 500 miles (unlikely).
Not only that, how can they give you 2 different heads??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076

Latest posts