What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MINIz guy

Reaction score
That's what I'm talking about- an oil filter gasket that stays on the engine and eventually needs a half a day to change instead of one that comes on the oil filter itself so it gets replaced every time the filter gets changed like a normal vehicle. They build them so they make a fortune on service.

I have a 2011 328i and change the gasket every time I change the filter. It is included with the $8 Mann filters I buy off Amazon. Either the dealership is blowing smoke where the sun doesn't shine or it is being misnamed.

Best part about that BMW's oil change? The filter is on the top of the motor... It is the easiest and cleanest oil change I have ever done.

That's crazy about the X6, though!

Whoops, I can see the confusion. The oil filter cartridge comes with an o-ring for the cap, which gets replaced every time. The oil filter housing has a gasket, which is prone to leaking over time. That requires pulling the intake manifold on the X6. On other BMWs, like my E36, it only requires pulling the alternator and airbox.

It's true though, I don't think this leak exists on the Tahoe.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My "spare" BMW (really the autocross/track car) is similar. Amazing when it works fine, but it recently went through 2 alternators in 200 miles. Seems like this latest is working fine.

I just did the oil filter gasket on my mother's X6 with an N55 motor. I get why the cost is so high, since the book calls to remove the intake manifold. In reality, you loosen it and pull it off half the studs to get to the last oil filter housing bolt. Took me around 3 hours, and $30, to do it my first time around.

Holy carp 3 hours to change oil filter? My vehicles take @ most a few minutes if i overtightened...

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoops, I can see the confusion. The oil filter cartridge comes with an o-ring for the cap, which gets replaced every time. The oil filter housing has a gasket, which is prone to leaking over time. That requires pulling the intake manifold on the X6. On other BMWs, like my E36, it only requires pulling the alternator and airbox.

Oic that is different.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah no extra gasket on a Tahoe or Yukon, the filter doesn't have an oil filter housing. That would be a German idea, to have a housing that the oil filter attaches to so they can make things more complicated. That way they have something else for the service departments to fix. I have a friend who was a mechanic specializing in German cars and he said that's what they do on purpose in order to make more money on service.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to finally road trip my truck with the 6.0 and 4l80 and I was surprised to see 15mpg highway cruising 75mph.. I still have the unlock issue with no throttle input but it's easy to manage on the highway..just go faster until u it a hill lol.

I don't think 4.11 gears are gonna work out for me since I'm turning 2100 rpm now with 3.42 gears and that is just above where my cam starts making power. The truck is just pulling too hard at higher rpm and seems like fuel mileage would take a nose dive.

would like to know if anyone else is running a similar combo and their mileage. My concern was always having decent hwy range and this is acceptable to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Knope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll never have another German car for just that reason. They're so over-engineered that they're impossible to work on so it costs a fortune for basic repairs. Ridiculous.
I can't say that I'll never own another one, but I'm definitely looking at more reliable brands like Lexus a little more closely. My mom's 2009 RX350 has 249k and never a problem. I'd take an is350 in a heartbeat.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting as before I had them hooked up only one way where the tab lines up and clips in and they worked. I'll try and reverse them this week.
The 880 fog plugs have a notch on both sides if the plug so there's no one way to plug them in like the 9006s.
next time you go to play with the lights just take a electrical meter and check positive negative and mark or wrap some electrical tape around the positive wire so there's no confusion in the future, sometimes GM likes to play electrical roulette and one side may be positive in the same position and negative on the other because it doesn't matter with a standard bulb, I ran HIDs for 10+ years eventually it will take a toll on the fuse box I started out with just upping the fuse amps but they will still melt and/or make burn marks in the fuse box, I ended up running a (fused) power wire straight from the battery to a relay/ballast/headlight connector it gives the ballast full power and takes the strain off the fuse box, if you put a relay in be sure it is a sealed relay as the basic relays are not waterproof, you can find them online and just look at the relay real good if the backside has a glossy looking finish it is sealed if it has a thin space around the corner edges then it is not sealed as they are not usually specified as sealed or not, anyway just my .02 for dealing with HID's

sealed.jpg