What are you doing about tires on 22” rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can say with certainty that the H/L Alenza Plus tire suck in the snow big time. Unsafe ant any speed.
I find it interesting to hear everyone’s opinions and personal stories regarding tires and seeing how they differ. I’ve had very good luck, personally, with H/L Alenzas. I’ve been running them here in a Iowa since 2010 on all of my Yukons and have had no complaints with their winter performance. Been averaging 80K to 90K per set as well. However, based on folks’ comments here, I may very well be missing out on the nirvana that a set of Michelin’s may bring me.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Michelin defender ltx ms is a pretty good tire. I’ve driven them in pouring rain. 20” of snow dry pavement. They do very well. I’ve done some mild off reading in dirt fields and they did very well for what they are. I would not take them rock climbing or on a serious off roading adventure but for 95% of most people’s use they are a great tire.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I find it interesting to hear everyone’s opinions and personal stories regarding tires and seeing how they differ. I’ve had very good luck, personally, with H/L Alenzas. I’ve been running them here in a Iowa since 2010 on all of my Yukons and have had no complaints with their winter performance. Been averaging 80K to 90K per set as well. However, based on folks’ comments here, I may very well be missing out on the nirvana that a set of Michelin’s may bring me.
Mine worked good on wet and dry pavement. In deeper dry snow they were ok for what they were. But, when the snow on the roads was mixed with the salt and in that partially packed/melted state they would load up and the truck would not move unless in 4X and it mould not steer or stop. Period. It was fugging dangerous!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine worked good on wet and dry pavement. In deeper dry snow they were ok for what they were. But, when the snow on the roads was mixed with the salt and in that partially packed/melted state they would load up and the truck would not move unless in 4X and it mould not steer or stop. Period. It was fugging dangerous!
I’m not doubting what you’re saying.

I wonder if the fact that my Yukon’s have all had AWD is what makes the difference for me.

That being said, I am seriously considering going with Michelin’s for my next set of tires based on what folks have said about them here.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not doubting what you’re saying.

I wonder if the fact that my Yukon’s have all had AWD is what makes the difference for me.

That being said, I am seriously considering going with Michelin’s for my next set of tires based on what folks have said about them here.

If your Yukon wasn’t in awd I don’t think that was your benefit. I think you benefitted from the g80 locking rear diff.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve decided to go with the 20” tire on a premiere

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your Yukon wasn’t in awd I don’t think that was your benefit. I think you benefitted from the g80 locking rear diff.
Just so we are comparing apples to apples, AWD is Full Time All Wheel Drive, which is what I have had on my 3 Denali's. Auto4WD is where the transfer case and front differential engages when the vehicle senses wheel slip and is what I think you are referring to.

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will that actually fit?
seems like 17 was smallest for the '15-'20s

your spare should be full size 17

in for pics, if that works

I don’t know why I said that but I meant 20” rim but I think a 22” rim with the 285/45/22 tire will work to
There are a lot more choices in this size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT