Well i found the source of my coolant leak (big crack)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I replaced mine at 150k and 19 years of service just as maintenance. I went with a new OEM. I dissected the old one just to see what the oil and trans fluid coolers inside of it looked like. Everything looked new inside, the core looked great too. Pretty impressive imo. I have done a few preventive maintenance items on my truck that have impressed me. The rear wheel bearings looked new at 160k for instance. I try to go with OEM parts for the most part as far as maintenance goes.
I just picked up a 100w plumber grade soldering gun from harbor freight for $30 I’ll update maybe tomorrow when I get to attempt to mend the crack and try to install a idler arm and bracket (steering issues getting worse) I’m feeling optimistic

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 100w plumber grade soldering gun from harbor freight for $30 I’ll update maybe tomorrow when I get to attempt to mend the crack and try to install a idler arm and bracket (steering issues getting worse) I’m feeling optimistic
Wishing you luck. Weathers been so sh*tty here I haven’t done anything to my trucks. I spent my life making a living outside so now that I’m retired I find anything to do inside- f working in the cold anymore. Plus I’m old as hell. :)

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s cold in California terms it hits 20* when I wake up for workimage.jpg

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wishing you luck. Weathers been so sh*tty here I haven’t done anything to my trucks. I spent my life making a living outside so now that I’m retired I find anything to do inside- f working in the cold anymore. Plus I’m old as hell. :)
image.jpg
Looks like a solid plastic weld to me

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you’ll see if it holds pressure huh? Fingers crossed.
I missed a spot my leaking is exponentially better so I’m gonna attack the spot I missed another day, for now it’s a drip and not a leak it’s holding almost full pressure just a small pinhole where I didn’t touch the gun.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would scare me to death. Reheated plastic and thin spots. Maybe JB weld with a back up metal patch would work for me on that. But most radiator shops can replace the plastic tank for reasonable money, and the aluminum cores seem to hold up real well with good coolant maintenance.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Welcome to the woprld of plastic tanks and aluminum cores. Its true, they suck.
I had close to 200k on mine before it started leaking.so I can't complain, and this was after 119k miles of police duty.
I replaced it with a Cold Case aluminum. Smooth, direct fit. Only problem was that the renewed pressure from the new radiator brought out leaks from the overflow tank and a heater hose. Now the cooling system is all tight again and functioning nicely. So if you replace the radiator and have a good amount of mileage, expect to replace a few more things. It's just normal wear and tear.