Weird Flickering lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrevino0497

Reaction score
2013 Tahoe LTZ 5.3 with 132k miles, I just purchased this rig in December of 2022.

A couple weeks ago I was getting in my truck to go home from work at 11:30pm so it was dark, for the first 10 minutes of my drive I noticed all of my lights going dim and normal and would repeat this about every 5-10 seconds and stopped out of the blue as if it needed to warm up first . Nothing could replicate it while voltage meter on dash showed stable and no performance issues at all!

A couple weeks goes by until today same thing happened, I got home checked all my grounds, they were all shiny and snug and I checked the positive cable on the battery also. This only happened twice now in the 8k miles since I’ve owned this vehicle. Alternator appears original

I will say I do notice sometimes the headlights and interior lights flicker very little if I’m paying attention while idiling . This happened out of the blue and while this is happening the volt meter doesn’t even flinch and stays steady above 14v. Battery is interstate made in 2019 by the way. Any insights are appreciated

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Atrevino0497

Reaction score
I’d like to add also when my lights are done going dim and bright I can’t replicate it even shutting off the vehicle and trying again. It almost seems to me that it stops when it gets warmed up and it’s done

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the negative battery cable is internally corroded and needs replacing. Many will say to check and clean your grounds. You said that you already tightened the terminals on top of the battery.

Usually when we see this, the battery is just about ready to give up the ghost. Don't know where you live but 4 years in the south is old.

OP
OP
A

Atrevino0497

Reaction score
Could be the negative battery cable is internally corroded and needs replacing. Many will say to check and clean your grounds. You said that you already tightened the terminals on top of the battery.

Usually when we see this, the battery is just about ready to give up the ghost. Don't know where you live but 4 years in the south is old.
I live in Minnesota, it’s strange that it only happens for the first 10 minutes randomly couple times in months

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in Minnesota, it’s strange that it only happens for the first 10 minutes randomly couple times in months
It’s also during that time that the alternator is working the hardest to top up the battery, so any additional drain may be more than it can sustain. At 132k your alternator could be getting weak though I’ve seen them go over 200k on these.

I run these on my rigs and they’ve been great.

https://a.co/d/aAZfQDV

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 Tahoe LTZ 5.3 with 132k miles, I just purchased this rig in December of 2022.

A couple weeks ago I was getting in my truck to go home from work at 11:30pm so it was dark, for the first 10 minutes of my drive I noticed all of my lights going dim and normal and would repeat this about every 5-10 seconds and stopped out of the blue as if it needed to warm up first . Nothing could replicate it while voltage meter on dash showed stable and no performance issues at all!

A couple weeks goes by until today same thing happened, I got home checked all my grounds, they were all shiny and snug and I checked the positive cable on the battery also. This only happened twice now in the 8k miles since I’ve owned this vehicle. Alternator appears original

I will say I do notice sometimes the headlights and interior lights flicker very little if I’m paying attention while idiling . This happened out of the blue and while this is happening the volt meter doesn’t even flinch and stays steady above 14v. Battery is interstate made in 2019 by the way. Any insights are appreciated

Temperature is often a major factor in electrical, particularly in low voltage, high amp circuits. It mostly affects smaller circuits- "smaller" also referring to lower ampacity "weaker" ones. So, a poor battery, ground, positive cable connection can be more affected by temperature swings and they often are intermittent. As was mentioned, the alternator is first trying to recharge the battery from the biggest hit it takes- cranking the engine. So it's doing its maximum work while being quickly warmed up by both the engine and by the production of current. A weak/failing connection anywhere within the production, rectifying or regulation circuitry can cause power fluctuations. An aged battery is also likely to show its faults during these quick temperature and load swings. It really is a harsh environment when you think about what all is going on.

As for the gauge, its not gonna respond quickly enough to coincide with your very short-term fluctuations. I bet that if you had a digital gauge, such as those that plug into a power port ("cigarette lighter"), you'd see the numbers fluctuate.

The dimming cycles could even be associated with the A/C cycling off and on. Which, further reinforces that your charging system is in need of attention- Alternator and/or battery and/or the associated cable connections. After confirming all cable connections were good, I'd suspect the battery.

OP
OP
A

Atrevino0497

Reaction score
Temperature is often a major factor in electrical, particularly in low voltage, high amp circuits. It mostly affects smaller circuits- "smaller" also referring to lower ampacity "weaker" ones. So, a poor battery, ground, positive cable connection can be more affected by temperature swings and they often are intermittent. As was mentioned, the alternator is first trying to recharge the battery from the biggest hit it takes- cranking the engine. So it's doing its maximum work while being quickly warmed up by both the engine and by the production of current. A weak/failing connection anywhere within the production, rectifying or regulation circuitry can cause power fluctuations. An aged battery is also likely to show its faults during these quick temperature and load swings. It really is a harsh environment when you think about what all is going on.

As for the gauge, its not gonna respond quickly enough to coincide with your very short-term fluctuations. I bet that if you had a digital gauge, such as those that plug into a power port ("cigarette lighter"), you'd see the numbers fluctuate.

The dimming cycles could even be associated with the A/C cycling off and on. Which, further reinforces that your charging system is in need of attention- Alternator and/or battery and/or the associated cable connections. After confirming all cable connections were good, I'd suspect the battery.
So would you recommend changing the battery and alternator out? All of the cables look great, I just got done doing a complete tune up on her this weekend. All new fluid, plugs and wires , air filter , serpentine belt, etc. upon belt replacement I also checked all of my pulleys and they appeared fine as well but I know that doesn’t mean an alternator is on its way out

OP
OP
A

Atrevino0497

Reaction score

Thankyou It’s been sitting over night now I’m going to check the surface charge on the battery and I’ll try load testing it with my multimeter. It’s funny that you said air conditioner because I made sure it was off last night as it was only 60 degrees out.

Even with the ac running I don’t have the dimming lights issue. I’m thinking the alternator is ready to give up and it would be a perfect time to replace the battery as well since I’m maintaining the charging system.

I just did a complete tune up this weekend with all the fluids, plugs and wires. Air filter serpentine belt etc. but on a positive note the alternators in these seems pretty straight forward in these 5.3’s

OP
OP
A

Atrevino0497

Reaction score

I’ve went back out to check a few things I checked the surface charge on battery and it read 12.18v I turned it on and it was bouncing from 14.34 & 14.54v running.

I also did check the belt and make sure it had good tension and it does but I loosened the belt and spun the alternator and notice there’s a chirping and when it runs comes to think of it there is a intermittent Whirring sound

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve went back out to check a few things I checked the surface charge on battery and it read 12.18v I turned it on and it was bouncing from 14.34 & 14.54v running.

I also did check the belt and make sure it had good tension and it does but I loosened the belt and spun the alternator and notice there’s a chirping and when it runs comes to think of it there is a intermittent Whirring sound
You found your culprit. That battery is toast. But if the alternator spins freely with no play or grittiness in the bearings, then you probably have some more time on that and can budget for replacing it at a later date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSurfer5300