Water Pump failure?

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Dusty_GMT800, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Dusty_GMT800

Dusty_GMT800 Full Access Member

Name:
    Austin
    I just recently made a drive to Jersey and back over the last weekend. On the way home the truck was squeaking a lot from the engine bay, however with the pouring rain we had that morning I thought nothing of it. However now I'm home and the squeaking continues along with the truck puking coolant wherever I go occasionally, I've topped off the coolant 2-3 times this since Monday. I noticed coolant dripping from the area by the water pump. Sounds like a failed gasket? Truck doesn't overheat or anything, made the drive back from Jersey like a champ.

I just ordered the AC Delco pump but if anyone's had a similar experience I could use the input.

2. Scottydoggs

Scottydoggs Full Access Member

Name:
    Scott
    check the tube and hose to and from the tb. it likes to leak, then drip on the belts, causing a squeak. if its the water pump it will be wet under it only pretty much, like dripping on the balancer and getting the belt wet.

if you have a clutch fan still, that things gonna be the hardest part of the job. getting it off. they sell/rent a tool that holds the pulley and then you can wrench it off. tool comes with the wrench. its a two man job if you ask me. and iirc, its reverse threads on it.

if you got a air chisel, a bap on the edge of the nut will loosen it up good most of the time for ya with ease.

3. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away! Supporting Member

Name:
    Nate
    If the pump is leaking from the weep hole, it's on its way out. Easy job, you've got the pump, just do it. Way better than it failing while you're out somewhere.

4. Dusty_GMT800

Name:
    Austin
    From the TB? That doesn't mean throttle body right? I do have the clutch fan so I'll have a fun time getting that off.

Yea I think it may be the weep hole, where should I look to determine if that is the case? The underside of the engine?

5. Scottydoggs

Name:
    Scott
    yes the throttle body. rather common leak from that hose.

the weep hole is behind the pumps body at the bottom. you'll need a mirror and flash light to see it. look from the bottom up, if its leaking it will be rusty and likely wet from that hole. the hole is small, maybe 3-4 mm wide.

fan removal. this is one way to go about it, that large wrench comes with the removal tool.

HiHoeSilver and Tonyrodz like this.
  6. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away! Supporting Member

Name:
    Nate
    Concur.

Scottydoggs likes this.
  7. Scottydoggs

Name:
    Scott

Dusty_GMT800 and HiHoeSilver like this.
  8. Dusty_GMT800

Name:
    Austin
    Alright, Would that leak enough to cause a low coolant light after 2-3 days?

9. Scottydoggs

Name:
    Scott
    it sure could, but so could a water pump. the pumps tend to leak after your drive them, park it then it leaks. then full time as it gets worse.